STEPPS treatment and BPD questions

S

sunsetvalley

From now on my doing this "STEPPS" group therapy. I don't know what to expect since there's a lack of information about this topic on the internet. I'd like to know if anyone did this therapy or heard about it.

I have BPD and, even though I know my therapist sent me to this new therapy for my own good, the moment he told me I couldn't help but feeling abandoned, and having a rant about he abandoning me. A similar feeling as when someone is breaking up with you in a relationship, but in this case there's no relationship. I was shaking and crying, and had a panic attack that lasted for hours. I've been feeling so anxious about this situation for days now, I feel abandoned and so, so sad. I cry about it at least once a day. I'm scared of how this group therapy is going to be like. But at the same time I feel like I deserve to be abandoned, I think I wasn't good enough for therapy. I feel like a failure.

Is this reaction normal for someone with BPD?, or it's something else?

Shadow-one

Shadow-one

Forum Safety Team
Forum Guide
Hi Sunset

I understand so well how you are feeling.

I also have BPD and I would be completely devestated if I were you.

If my therapist suggested ANY ONE OR ANY other type of therapy, I would tear myself a part wondering why he/she didn't want me anymore.

I personally wouldn't cope...

You Do NOT deserve to be abandoned..:)

G

Girl interupted

Deep breath. The unknown can be scary and overwhelming.

He may be sending you to group so you feel less isolated and can be around people going through the same thing as you.

We learn from others. We share. And we heal, together. A little like we do here on the forum.

See how the first few sessions go. You may find they help. Try your best to not let your brain run away with you.

S

sunsetvalley

Hi Sunset

I understand so well how you are feeling.

I also have BPD and I would be completely devestated if I were you.

If my therapist suggested ANY ONE OR ANY other type of therapy, I would tear myself a part wondering why he/she didn't want me anymore.

I personally wouldn't cope...

You Do NOT deserve to be abandoned..:)
Hello Shadow, I really am devastated, but it's starting to go away. I feel less alone now knowing I'm not the only one, thank you x

S

sunsetvalley

Deep breath. The unknown can be scary and overwhelming.

He may be sending you to group so you feel less isolated and can be around people going through the same thing as you.

We learn from others. We share. And we heal, together. A little like we do here on the forum.

See how the first few sessions go. You may find they help. Try your best to not let your brain run away with you.
You are right, I didn't think about it that way, but it totally makes sense. As soon as this feeling goes away, I'm sure I'll start to see things more clear.

Despite what it seems, I'm a very rational person, but my feelings can be so intense sometimes, it's impossible to handle. (Well, that's why I'm here)

I'll try my best to stay calm and real, thank you for your advise x

J

JimJam28

Hi I have done the STEPPS group therapy and I have mixed feelings about it others on the program found it very easy to understand and has helped them a lot.

I have many diagnoses and I struggled to understand and get my head around what I was being teach I also found it very upsetting as it covers so much in so little time you have 15 to 18 units to cover over 20 weeks and i found it to much in that time.

Dont no if this helps if you have any direct questions then feel free to ask me

S

sunsetvalley

Hi I have done the STEPPS group therapy and I have mixed feelings about it others on the program found it very easy to understand and has helped them a lot.

I have many diagnoses and I struggled to understand and get my head around what I was being teach I also found it very upsetting as it covers so much in so little time you have 15 to 18 units to cover over 20 weeks and i found it to much in that time.

Dont no if this helps if you have any direct questions then feel free to ask me
Thank you for your response, it was actually helpful since I know little to nothing about this program. I'm actually concerned about how much time it'll take, since I have a full time job at the moment. I've heard it's a two hour session once a week, is that right? Or it depends?

J

JimJam28

Thank you for your response, it was actually helpful since I know little to nothing about this program. I'm actually concerned about how much time it'll take, since I have a full time job at the moment. I've heard it's a two hour session once a week, is that right? Or it depends?
That's correct 2 hours 1s a week for 20 weeks... I was doing mine back in 2015 when I was working full time but word of warning it drains you so dont work the day of therapy as it took lot out of me and I was working as a Team Manager in a care homes so just be mindful... I hope that you get the help and support you need from it...x

S

sunsetvalley

That's correct 2 hours 1s a week for 20 weeks... I was doing mine back in 2015 when I was working full time but word of warning it drains you so dont work the day of therapy as it took lot out of me and I was working as a Team Manager in a care homes so just be mindful... I hope that you get the help and support you need from it...x
Good to know, i'll definitely take that in consideration. Hopefully I'll be able to take half a day, maybe. Sorry I don't want to bother you, feel free not to answer, but what were the sessions like? Thank you again for your help!

J

JimJam28

Good to know, i'll definitely take that in consideration. Hopefully I'll be able to take half a day, maybe. Sorry I don't want to bother you, feel free not to answer, but what were the sessions like? Thank you again for your help!
No dont feel like your bothering me its honestly fine hun, if it helps you then I feel good that I done something today, the sessions was learning ways to view ourselves as well as how to manage the problems we face with having the condition and finding ways to try communicate with our loved ones about what we are feeling inside. You also have homework to do at home and you have to try include a safety network which they call focus team so look at who in your close circle will support you and get them involved with learning how we manage each day and the struggle we face daily. Think that covers what it's about hun

S

sunsetvalley

No dont feel like your bothering me its honestly fine hun, if it helps you then I feel good that I done something today, the sessions was learning ways to view ourselves as well as how to manage the problems we face with having the condition and finding ways to try communicate with our loved ones about what we are feeling inside. You also have homework to do at home and you have to try include a safety network which they call focus team so look at who in your close circle will support you and get them involved with learning how we manage each day and the struggle we face daily. Think that covers what it's about hun
Thank you so much for answering all my questions x have a nice day!