• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Step Down Care

E

eek

Are there any Forum Users who have experience of Step Down Care? From the little I've read and heard Step Down Care might have a lot to offer.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Is step down care more of this individual living where they cut the care until your living "independently" all very well but my experience is the benefit system doesn't undestand why people are not getting care, as far as they're concerned those in need of the benefits receive lots of care, then theres the point that some don't get better and there is no longer a viable better on benefits

E

eek

I doubt I can offer an adequate description of Step Down Care. And the term may have different meanings outside Mental Health. I'd suggest Googling 'Step Down Care' and see where that leads. And, of course, all places are not the same.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Well I can't say googling has left me much the wiser! As far as I can tell step-down care means a sort of transitional care for people coming out of inpatient units prior to full re-entry to the community? All I can say - and googling confirms this as if you insert 'step down care mental health' the second entry is Australian and the third Canadian - is that the term is not in common use in the UK (in fact the top entry is from the Priory which is a commercial health business and I certainly wouldn't look at their website for anything useful!).

Nick.

E

eek

I first heard of Step Down Care in a Rethink leaflet. Though Step Down Care might not be the term in use now. The leaflet was about a Rethink place in Hampshire called the Forresters. They provided Step Down Care and Respite Care (and perhaps still do).

A point was made about bed-blocking. That there are people on acute wards
ready for discharge but remain on the ward as they have nowhere to go.

According to the leaflet (if I correctly recall) Rethink reckoned they could provide Step Down Care at around half the cost of acute inpatient care.

Money is a factor. There's no way round that.

Again if I correctly recall, Step Down Care was offered for upto 6 weeks. I don't why.

I haven't experienced Step Down Care. And neither endorse or don't endorse Step Down Care.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Yes that would fit exactly with what I have seen eek - basically it is just a description of transitional care arrangements (transitional between in-patient units and the community).

Nick.

S

*Sapphire*

Sorry to intrude, but there is a PDF leaflet on their website about Forresters. I think it's strange that they bundle persons with MH problems there with carers wanting respite. If I was a carer needing respite I would probably want to be completely away from people with issues for a complete break. And if I was there with a MH issue to avoid hospitalisation I would prob feel a bit vulnerable having others around that don't necessarily understand MH issues. But then maybe that's just me.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Nope seems like a completely valid point to me sapphire :).

Nick.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I went to forresters, i overheard this carer saying she resented me because her husband used to be as attractive, as some mind women said enjoy it while it lasts, then there was the guy who kept asking me if i wanted a sweetie, his son was attacking him, i wonder why?