• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Starting to drink and mental health

H

HumbleHubby

Hi all,

I never used to drink at all, maybe one glass in a restaurant and thats it really.

Now I am coming through the other end of my mental health (light at the end of the tunnel sort of speak), off the APs and just on anti depressants (want to come off these soon too). I have started drinking every week, say half a bottle of baileys in one go and I get cravings for it. I quite like the feeling of not thinking about my problems and just living in the moment.

Whats your experience?

SomeSwedishGirl

SomeSwedishGirl

Hi all,

I never used to drink at all, maybe one glass in a restaurant and thats it really.

Now I am coming through the other end of my mental health (light at the end of the tunnel sort of speak), off the APs and just on anti depressants (want to come off these soon too). I have started drinking every week, say half a bottle of baileys in one go and I get cravings for it. I quite like the feeling of not thinking about my problems and just living in the moment.

Whats your experience?
Slippery slope for me personally. I like it a bit too much, numbing myself with drink.
So I stay away. Think it’s quite a dangerous thing to do, self medicate with alcohol. Is it worth it in the end for just a few moments?
(I am in no way judging by the way, these are just my thoughts on my own habits)

JessisMe

JessisMe

I can definitely understand the allure. Alcohol can be a great relaxant. I have some gin or vodka or wine every once in awhile but still feel guilty about it because it’s not recommended. It’s not a problem for me at this point but I can see where it could become one quite easily so I just mostly stay away.

H

HumbleHubby

Slippery slope for me personally. I like it a bit too much, numbing myself with drink.
So I stay away. Think it’s quite a dangerous thing to do, self medicate with alcohol. Is it worth it in the end for just a few moments?
(I am in no way judging by the way, these are just my thoughts on my own habits)
I get your points.

It's not really worth it to be honest but it gave me an insight of why people smoke weed to get away from it all.

R

RedYeti

Hi all,

Whats your experience?
I have always enjoyed a drink being a young man but always stick by weed > alcohol anyway.
Every now and then I stop drinking for a while, it’s pretty hot and cold.
I’m in a similar boat to you, feel like I’m towards the end of a patch of bad mental health. I’ve been on antidepressants for 2 months now. Since starting them I haven’t had a drink.
I don’t think it’s a great idea to combat Anxiety or low mood with alcohol, as it’s a depressant it can make a poor mood worse. I think it’s good to have a drink every now and then to get a break or live in the moment as you put it but not to souly address problems with alcohol.

lockdown kinda made me face up to my issues being stuck inside. Kind of realised a fair bit of my drinking was revolved around anxiety.
As for now not drinking I don’t see myself getting really drunk again any time soon. I have been smoking more weed tho.
feeling a lot more in the moment, more in control of my anxiety and depression.