• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Starting seroquil

O

Ofglen

I'm starting a dose of 25-50mg of seroquil daily for cyclothymia/bipolar ii (diagnosis hasn't been settled upon yet). This seems much lower than most peoples doses - will I get any benefit from such a low dose? What should I expect starting it? I've not tried any other medication yet so it's all very new to me.

E

Elvis100

I think i started on a very low dose and then it was increased over time but to be honest it was a while back and my memory isnt what it was. Im on 750mg at the moment and hoping to reduce that. It makes you very tired i find so i hope you can find a dose that suits you and helps with your symptoms. :)

Gajolene

Gajolene

That's not a low dose, as those are the fast acting serquels/quatiapines. They will probably up the dose as you adjust to the medication. You'll probably feel very groggy at first and get very shaky on them for the first few weeks. You may be switched to the low acting/ extended release tablets once you adjust to having the medication in your system. They are different tablets all together than the little pink ones, they are big oval white bullets and although are higher mg's take longer to get into your system and don't work as quickly or have the same impact right away.

K

kmwt3

I gained 50 lbs and all I wanted to do was sleep. I felt so incredibly groggy all day. I went from 25 to 200 but finally had enough so I got my pdoc to put me on something new. Within four days of stopping I lost 7 lbs.

B

blueorange

I'm starting a dose of 25-50mg of seroquil daily for cyclothymia/bipolar ii (diagnosis hasn't been settled upon yet). This seems much lower than most peoples doses - will I get any benefit from such a low dose? What should I expect starting it? I've not tried any other medication yet so it's all very new to me.
My friend is on 25 mg seroquel and doing great. Me on the other hand directly started with 300 mg. So it depends on your condition.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Yes for me, I only use them for sleeping, I can use them for panick and anx during the day but a whole one makes me too groggy and foggy to function, I use a pill splitter and only take a half tab for severe anxiety or panick attacks that coping tools won't settle down during the day. I don't have bipolar or episodes of feeling manic though, mine is for PTSD and anxiety symptoms. It doesn't help with my depression though. I tend to take the sleeping ones between 9 and 10 pm so it will be out of my system earlier in the mornings.

megirl

megirl

I am on them for sleep and act as a mood-stabiliser also has anti-depressant qualities.
We have decreased it a couple of months back.
Currently my mood is a bit all over the place. I see my pdoc wednesday we will see.
At first yes the quetiapine will make you feel groggy but this will settle once your body adjusts.

G

glimmerofhope

I was on Seroquil before. I can't remember my dose but sometimes you have to start off cautiously since they can make you very sleepy/groggy. Seroquil used to give me temporary paralysis so I'd have to lay down in bed flat on my back and then take it. If I were facing the pillow I'm sure I would have suffocated. Once I took it when I was in the kitchen and tried to make my way to bed and fell onto the floor and couldn't move anything. Starting on a small dose is a good idea!

L

LexiMMac

When they switched my meds I got prescribed 300mg of Seroquel XR right off the bat (I have Type I), and it worked wonders for me. It does make you tired/groggy though (which is why I was advised to take it at night). Usually they'll start you off with low doses and work up to higher ones if you need it. Some people do, some don't. If you've been on a lot of other medications before they might choose to ease you into it.

All in all, though, I find that Seroquel is a good medication.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Bipolar Forum 13
A Bipolar Forum 16