Starting out: new fitness plan

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Hey everyone, tomorrow afternoon I am beginning a new chapter in my life. I’m going to get fit again. Before becoming unwell with schizophrenia, I was active, doing powerlifting, martial arts and cycling. Now due to the illness and medication for it, I’ve put on twice my body weight. I am running the risk of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and organ failure from being obese. I’m determined to lose this weight and adopt a healthier lifestyle. I struggle to walk, let alone run and to be honest, I’m very embarrassed by how I look. I’ll get there though... I know that.

N

natalie

Hi Vanish,

Well done for re revising yourself and developing a fitness plan, I just wonder, to suggest, how about maybe a general traditional aerobics workout fitness dvd, I can highly recommend a very good one, and that too can help you along on your way.

As the motto goes, it's always better to be doing something even if it is just once aweek, than on the principal of nothing at all.

I'll be following this thread, with strong interest.

Best Wishes.

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Hey Natalie,
Thanks for the encouragement, I really appreciate it.
I’m starting out with an exercise physiologist who will work with me on fat burning and also toning exercises I can do in the centre (a fully equipped gym) as well as being advised on diet. I aim to see the exercise physiologist once a week, but have equipment like a treadmill at home along with weights and Pilates equipment.
I’m afraid of aerobics, although did do step aerobics on the old Nintendo wii back in the day.

Looking forward to a new me!

LizBo

LizBo

Good on ya' mate! 👍

It's great you're taking an interest in your body again. As I understand it med's for schizophrenia are prone to cause weight gain; it's a bugger really. I have faith in you though; you should be proud of yourself.

Looking forward to watching your progress too.

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Thanks LizBo, I appreciate your support. Just getting back into the swing of things. Nervous about my first training session in about 2 hours!

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Well I’m back from the gym. We did a little of all sorts... cycling, weights, Pilates, boxing, rowing and yoga. It was pretty awesome 😎
Will probably feel it tomorrow when I’m going for my job interview! :prop::oops:

I used to think trying to lose weight was like flogging a dead horse perhaps not!

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Well surprisingly I am in good shape today and wasn’t too stiff! So much so I went for another workout with treadmill, squats, weights, boxing and Pilates. I’m feeling those feel good endorphins flowing! :dance::dance::dance:

EddieH

EddieH

Good on you @vanish. I just bought a treadmill the other day, determined to lose a bit of blubber too. Is this Gym work covered on the NDIS per chance?

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Only for six months @EddieH most of the exercise is done at home with the makeshift gym I’ve created as the NDIS is only funding 26 gym sessions. I’m feeling remarkably good after exercising. I thought I’d feel exhausted but I don’t.

LizBo

LizBo

Hey that's great @vanish! Hi @EddieH!

I'm impressed the NDIA approves this activity. Has there been any movement with your annual plan?

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Believe it or not.... yes!!!!! Thanks so much for the tip of contacting the local member of parliament, worked so fast! I had a phone call late yesterday afternoon and checked the portal last night and the plan was there. :thanks: