• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Starting long term therapy

J

Jlttomo

I finally start long term therapy tomorrow, and also told my whole family about my mental illnesses that I've had for nearly 15 years, almost took an overdose last week. Really nervous about therapy.....

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I hope the therapy helps with your illness and how you feel. You must have felt overwhelmed and like you could not cope with life anymore to think about overdosing. Please tell us how it goes tomorrow.

I always found that right after, my head would be spinning with what had been discussed and i ended up hating how it made me feel worse. Some people have the opposite experience. It really is for you to take out of it what you want to get. If it is for someone to talk to for a while, that is fine too i am sure. You can pause or stop any time, you are in control. Good luck, i really hope it helps you to live happier.

J

Jlttomo

Awww thank you that means alot to me. I will let you know how it goes, I am really scared. I remember the first time I did therapy, I nearly took my own life, and yeah I really was going to overdose last week .. I just broke up with my partner and with my mental illnesses everything got too much to handle

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
You are really not well at the moment. You have to be honest with them all, if you cannot look after yourself, they need to look after you.

It can sometimes feel like they are being unkind so be prepared to feel like they don't care, even though that is not the case. Therapists and doctors say and do things that i found hard to understand, that felt wrong, but i got through it.

One day at a time. Call for help whenever you feel suicidal, before you act on it. It is very important you don't die by accident as that can and does happen to many people.

J

Jlttomo

Last week I'd have welcomed it. I really don't like myself at all, I will be completely honest with them. I need help

bpd2020

bpd2020

I was thinking about you earlier as I remembered you start therapy tomorrow. All you have to do is to be honest. You are not there to be judged or criticised. You have been so brave telling your family how you feel and in seeking support. Be proud of yourself.

J

Jlttomo

Hello again.. .thank you for thinking of me it really does mean alot to me, I'm very scared.....

bpd2020

bpd2020

You are welcome. It is scary starting therapy. You do not know how you are going to feel or what you are going to discuss. The fact you are still going ahead despite feeling scared is so brave.

J

Jlttomo

Had a bad turn again last night, I'm at the therapist now....really scared.....

bpd2020

bpd2020

I am so sorry you had a bad night. You are in the best possible place now. Just be honest with your therapist. They are there to support you. You are not alone.

J

Jlttomo

Hello again. Just been to the therapist, ... I have to say. . I told him everything and for th first time it felt good ...

bpd2020

bpd2020

Yipee! I am so happy. You were so brave. Well done for going to the therapist and being so open. You are so strong.

J

Jlttomo

I very nearly collapsed though, everything went dark. But ...it felt really good to say everything. It feels like the therapist cares which makes it even better

bpd2020

bpd2020

yet you carried on despite that. You are being so brave. It sounds like you have a really nice therapist. That will help a lot.

K

karl7

I finally start long term therapy tomorrow, and also told my whole family about my mental illnesses that I've had for nearly 15 years, almost took an overdose last week. Really nervous about therapy.....
I think its a great step that youre starting therapy.....im sure it will help