• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Starting lamotrigine

Passionflower

Passionflower

Definitely take Depakote with or after food as on an empty stomach it used to make me instantly vomit.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Isn't Omeprazole more for the stomach?
My GP didn't want to prescribe buscopan and gave me some stuff to resolve obstipation, which isn't my main issue. It's pain, cramps and gas. That stuff (can't remember the name) made it worse.
Mebeverine? Buscopan is for IBS in the UK and you can buy it over the counter.

Omeprazole, as far as i know, is (not scientific words) coats the stomach, protects it from the effects of medication, like ibuprofen, that can upset the stomach.

If your problems are gas, pain, cramps, that is what buscopan helps me with. The best thing i have ever used for those problems though, is a yoghurt drink here called Actimel. There are so many different ones but it is live bacteria? any yoghurt with live 'stuff' is amazing for my digestive system. I have had a colonoscopy so know i have IBS and nothing worse, and after that i was given mebeverine which i don't think was that helpful. Really important to eat well, don't swallow air so don't talk when eating (not easy for a bipolar sufferer - to not talk), and avoid stress. Stress is a major trigger for my IBS.

Sorry we have digressed :)

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

Definitely take Depakote with or after food as on an empty stomach it used to make me instantly vomit.
OK thanks. Do you still take it and does it help you with anger issues? Do you have other side effects?

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

Mebeverine? Buscopan is for IBS in the UK and you can buy it over the counter.
Oh yes it was mebeverine (here the brand name is duspatal) that my GP didn't want to prescribe. I took it 20 years or so ago but can't really remember if it helped. So I asked my GP about it and she said it isn't very effective so she gave me macrogol (for constipation) which only made it worse.
Buscopan is over the counter here to, I see. I may try that, thanks!

I didn't try Actimel but did take Yakult for a while, it helped a little.

Oh I don't have trouble not talking at all, especially when I'm depressed,so I, wouldn't be swallowing much air while I eat. ;)

Thank you so much for your input.

Passionflower

Passionflower

OK thanks. Do you still take it and does it help you with anger issues? Do you have other side effects?
No I don't take it now. I don't remember having any side effects from taking it although I was on lots of meds at the time so it is a bit confusing.I don't really have anger issues so I can't help you with that.

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

So I've decided to wait for a while until I decide to go on Depakote to see if I stabiliser, because it's only been two and a half weeks since I stopped taking lithium. My psychiatrist asked me to contact her again in a week to tell her how I am.
So far today I don't feel too bad, not really depressed, maybe a little up. I didn't have too much of a bad night either.

K

keith74

Depakote made my dead straight hair wavy!
My wife also suspects depakote made her hair wavy. She is the only one among all her family (immediate and extended) that has wavy hair. And she grew up with straight hair when she was younger.

K

keith74

My wife takes depakote right before bedtime on an empty stomach. No issues. But I am realizing that she doesn't seem to be as susceptible to its side effects as much as others. It was just the wavy hair that she noticed.