Starting antidepressants?

G

Graduate-18

I saw my gp a few weeks ago and explained how my anxiety has recently got worse and spiralled into depression.

I’ve had depression and been on antidepressants before, I’m not entirely convinced they made me better because I think lifestyle changes also helped. However my parents seem sure that I was better on them. I feel like if I could make changes to my life I could maybe get better without them because every so often I have a few good days where I feel like I can get my life together again! But then I end up exhausted and depressed again. I’ve got to the point where I hate everyone and everything, I never leave my room because I just can’t face anything.

I’ve been prescribed Citalopram and I’m worried about getting worse before getting better - I’m so depressed I’m worried about what feeling even worse will feel like. Does anyone have any experience with Citalopram? I voiced these concerns with my gp however he couldn’t seem to get rid of me quick enough.

Drooo

Drooo

I can't speak for Citalopram specifically as I've never taken that, but antidepressants, generally speaking, can make things worse before they get better, particularly the first few weeks, but then things should improve. If they don't improve after a while then you should think about increasing the dosage and if that still doesn't work then you're probably going to need to try a different antidepressant.

Something that can happen when taking medication is that you lose insight. You are under the influence, so to speak, so you aren't always the best judge of things. You have to try and weigh up how you feel with what others are saying of you. You might not feel like there has been much of a change but if others are saying you are more sociable, talkative, friendly, happier seeming, then you should take that onboard.

Lifestyle changes certainly help. One thing we always tend to do when depressed is to withdraw. This can become a problem in itself as anxiety soon follows when thinking of dealing with people again. Keeping to a routine helps a lot I think. Same waking times, same sleeping times etc.

Some people will be okay taking antidepressants for a while and then gradually coming off them again, some will need to stay on them in a 'maintenance' way, to keep the depression away. Some people can manage without medication completely. It isn't something that's set in stone and it can take a bit of figuring out, but do listen to what others are saying about how you are.

T

Tonic

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Why is it that if you go to a doctors appointment which lasts less than 10 minutes, you get prescribed antidepressants.

they don't tell you other ways of beating depression do they? NO!!!!!

But they should.

T

Tonic

ACCOUNT CLOSED
different things work for different people.

I don't believe that antidepressants should be prescribed so freely.

I believe that therapy and therapeutic activities should be recommended before antidepressants.

Maybe anti depressants should only be prescribed after people have given therapy and therapeutic activities a really good go.

Therapeutic activities could be:
Art
Yoga
Running
Jogging
Baking
Gardening
Swimming and Sauna
Meditation
.....................or whatever works for you!

work, even if it is volunteering can really help as it gets you out of the house and forces you to be active instead of just staying in your room and stewing over your depressing thoughts.

Do you work?

K

Karolina1

I'm only able to do those things with in antidepressant otherwise I'd be too way too severely anxious or depressed

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bizzarebitrary Treatments 5
D Treatments 3
L Treatments 3