Started lithium today

fazza

fazza

Hi all. I have not posted for a while as I have been busy getting stable. I started lithium today to see if that will help.

Feeling much better than a month ago.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I took lithium for awhile many years ago, but I don't remember why or if it was beneficial for me. Must be not because I don't think I took it for very long.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi fazza. I hope the lithium will help you. I wish when I started lithium someone would have told me to watch my weight.
Yes that has happened to a friend of mine but as she says she’s rather have the weight and be stable. I was on quetiapine as I refused lithium and that did work for me but I did put weight on with it.

fazza

fazza

Luckily for me I am not worried about my weight.

Hopefully the lithium and the latuda will keep me stable.

I don't rate the latuda much as so far the voices as still very clear but I can cope with them at the moment.

I also started CAT therepy today. It's similar to cbt and dbt. Got 16 weeks of it.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I picture CAT therapy being like in a room with some cats in it and you sit in a comfortable chair petting the cats and they purrr and soothe your nerves. When my son was in college, during finals week they brought in some therapy dogs for the students to pet to try to relieve the stress from their exams.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

I picture CAT therapy being like in a room with some cats in it and you sit in a comfortable chair petting the cats and they purrr and soothe your nerves. When my son was in college, during finals week they brought in some therapy dogs for the students to pet to try to relieve the stress from their exams.
ha ha ha ha ha

fazza

fazza

Cognitive Analytic Therapy
it is like cbt but looks in to your past to see why I think like I do. I have only had one session out of 16. We were mapping out past situations from my childhood to find the key to why I make so many bad reasoning episodes.

Can't see it helping with the voices but hopefully will help with the depression.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

The CAT therapy sounds very interesting. I will look into it. I've gone to a CBT group for several years and have gotten well aquainted with it. The rest of this post is for Poopy Dolls benefit and whoever else doesn't know what CBT is.....CBT stands for cognitive behavioral therapy. Basically it teaches us that there are three things in your mind that influence each other. Thoughts, emotions, and actions. And if you are having trouble with one of these, like strong emotions for example, which might be difficult to change on their own, you can try to change either of the other two, like your thoughts or actions to help lead to the change of your emotions. In CBT they teach you to do thought records, which is a form you fill out when you are having trouble. There are many different styles of thought records. The one I like the best has a column for writing down the situation that took place that upset you. Another column is for your automatic thoughts which are the first thing you think of about the situation. These automatic thoughts are usually upsetting to you and are usually not necessarily very realistic. Another column is for your emotions about the situation. For me they are usually anxiety or anger or fear. Another column is for coming up with common cognitive distortions that you may be having. Cognitive distortions are things like jumping to conclusions or catastrophizing. I have a list of the 10 most common ones to help me pick one or two. The next column is to write down alternate thoughts about the situation that might be more rational and realistic than your automatic thoughts. Then the last column is a place to write down the outcome of how you feel now that you have come up with alternate, more rational thoughts, or what you did about the situation now that you are thinking more clearly about it. CBT has usually been used for depression and anxiety but it is starting to be used for psychosis too. Hope this helps.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I read my last post again and noticed a mistake I made but couldn't edit it because the time limit had expired. I think actions are not really something in your mind because they are things you do physically. Also, sorry if this was off topic of the original thread. Since writing my last post, I read up on CAT therapy and I like the sound of it.

fazza

fazza

Lithium is going well along with the lurasidaone. My doctor wants me to stop the sertraline as she fears it may make me high but I explained to her that I am not willing to stop until this latest bout of depression has lifted.

I am 75 percent back now after my big dip before Christmas.

No side effects from any of my meds at all.
Slightly anxious but that's just me. I no longer want to burn the world down.

Just getting used to my new diagnosis. I have accepted that I am ill and I have seen with hindsight how off the scale of crazy I can be.

Got therepy on Tuesday which I am looking forward too

fazza

fazza

Well I can happily report that the combination of Latuda and Lithium is bloody amazing. Had abit of a scare last week when my lithium levels went a bit high due to me being dehydrated but the results are great.

Zero big mood drops
Zero depression
Very quiet voices thanks to the latuda
no paranoid thoughts at all

My cpn is visiting me tomorrow and i have my weekly C.A.T (cognitive analytical therepy) on tuesday which is really helping with understanding my thought proccess.

Feel even better than when i was on clozapine. Plus no side effects either.
I hope it continues

even going back to work has crossed my mind but we will see how the next couple of months pan out.