Standardise Drug Names, Please!

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

as this is online people from lots of places come here.

the same medicine has different names in different places.

Ive just found out Quetiapine is Seroquel. :(

Why haven't they called it Seroquel, in the UK and Aus? Is it because they think they wouldn't be able to MARKET it???? :(

I am so uncomfortable with the shenanigans of Big Pharma and our Medicos, seriously.

These things should be far more controlled and standardized than they are.

T

Tonic

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The drug companies who create the drug give it a brand name and charge more for it. Then when the patent runs out, it can be made by other drug companies unbranded and is the same but cheaper.

Doctors usually prescribe the cheaper version as they are the same so it saves the nhS money.

T

Tonic

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It is like neurofen and ibrobrufen. They are the same.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Money making reasons, in other words.

this is my POINT.

these things need to be Standardised.

Once the patent runs out, so should the right to the Brand Name.

Or, God forbid, the law changes so the Patent name and Generic name BOTH feature on the same label.

T

Tonic

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think the reason they don't ban the brand name when the patent runs out is because the company that came up with the medicine first put lots of money into researching it and ensuring it was safe before it was put on the market. So they have invested in it.

Then when the patent runs out they are standardised and unbranded. But there will still be the brand name version.

Perhaps pharmacists could just explain which medicines are the same, so people can make their own choices.

People still but nurofen over very cheap (30p a packet) ibroprufen because they want to spend their money on a Brand name.

There was a really good explanation of this subject on Trust Me I'm a Doctor, recently.

It showed how quickly the same medicines are absorbed and get to work. They all have to meet a certain criteria legally.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I think the reason they don't ban the brand name when the patent runs out is because the company that came up with the medicine first put lots of money into researching it and ensuring it was safe before it was put on the money. So they have invested in it.

Then when the patent runs out they are standardised and unbranded. But there will still be the brand name version.

Perhaps pharmacists could just explain which medicines are the same, so people can make their own choices.

People still but nurofen over very cheap (30p a packet) ibroprufen because they want to spend their money on a Brand name.

exactly, so it is money making, and is not good enough imho. It leads to unnecessary profiteering and confusion, as usual the consumer suffers.

both names should appear on the packaging, by LAW.

Governments can regulate whatever they want to appear on packaging. Have you ever seen our Cigarette Packaging, its World Famous.

You guys have just bought it in also, heres what to expect:

Plain cigarette packaging has arrived, but will it reduce smoking? | Science | The Guardian

and yes, it HAS reduced smoking. Instead of being Out and Proud smokers now shuffle their ugly cancer sticks away from public sight.

T

Tonic

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The same is true for food, regarding branded and unbranded food.

If you took all food out if it's packet and just served it without the marks and spencer or waitrose packaging, you wouldn't know it cost double or triple what it would usually cost.

But people pay for brands.