• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

St John's wort

L

lonelyandlost

Has anyone tried these and have they helped please?

I am thinking of giving them a go as my GP wont prescribe my anti depressant any more as she knows I am too much of a risk of OD'ing.

Thank you

invise

invise

Not tried that. Korean Jinseng was ok, its a natural herb remedy, you get it in most chemists / supermarkets. It doesnt seem to last throughout the day though. You also get it as tea which can be tasty - I recommend a bit of honey or sugar though.
St Johns Wart is known to interact badly with a lot of medications, especially anti-d and contraceptives. Dont think you get any side affects, it just plain stops the medication from working! So depends on what other things you take etc. Your doc will know all about Jinseng and St Johns Wart - try talkin to them. Sure a chemist would know too. Talk to them first for piece of mind.

R

retrogothic

Hi
Although St Johns Wort isn't a man made drug do be careful when you take it and start with a low dose. I was prescribed it by my GP when I was ill but hadn't had a diagnosis for my illness which turned out to be in the Bipolar spectrum. The St Johns Wort caused a mild mania, as can other man made antidepressents in a bipolar person. I don't know if other conditions can react to it in other ways. So just be aware if you take it, to monitor your feelings and behaviour carefully. Let your GP know that you are taking it, especially if they prescribe you anti-depressants in the end. I hope you find something that works well for you.
Iz

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
if your at risk of oding.. are you recieving any other support? when i was seen as a risk I was prescribed minimal amounts that would not cause any harm... was a pain and ment I had to keep getting prescriptions and invest in a pre pay card for prescriptions.

L

lonelyandlost

Thank you all for your input, I will take it all in..

The gp has given up on me now I think and I have to wait for the psychiatrists appointment coming, so I am without meds or anything till he decides whether or not to give me any