SSRIs

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

at the moment we all live under a system that means if we get depressed, the doctors prescribe us something that may increase suicidality.

Can someone please tell me how this Makes Sense.

:scratch:

T

Topcat

Maybe they want us to kill ourselves, get rid of those moany depressing fuckers
Maybe I should get some

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I'm going to suggest this to the Australian Govt

why not just open up Euthanasia Booths so us troublesome souls can leave the rest of you Normals to it. Save your precious tax payers dollars.

Because there will be no one left to scrub the dunnies<<<<<that's why. :(

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
because it only may increase your suicidality for a short period, from what I have read and my own experiences, then is suppose to cure your depression. also there is not much alternative as not everyone can do therapy (plus that takes up a lot more resources) when depressed and there ain't any better medication available.
everything has possible disadvantages and you have weight it up yourself to decide if that is what you want to try so I don't see it as any different to any other medication.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Alternatives:

exercise
vitamin D therapy
meditation
improved self care

none of these are EVER suggested. :(

also the Suicidality risk INCREASES with use, it doesn't decrease. The government had to literally force the Pharma companies to put the warning label in, because the risk is Real and Undeniable and Tangible and Far More Frequent than anyone wants to admit.

The govt only forced them to put it in, because the risk is significant, not because its insignificant.

When In Rome

When In Rome

I'm going to have to Google SSRI... hang on...

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors :confused:

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are a widely used type of antidepressant medication.
They're mainly prescribed to treat depression, particularly persistent or severe cases, and are often used in combination with a talking therapy such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT).
SSRIs are usually the first choice medication for depression because they generally have fewer side effects than most other types of antidepressant.
Interesting as I have a CBT assessment soon, yet I have been prescribed Venlafaxine and Mirtizapine recently; are they SSRI's?

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Interesting as I have a CBT assessment soon, yet I have been prescribed Venlafaxine and Mirtizapine recently; are they SSRI's?
I think so

being given mirt on top of Zoloft was what sent me into the beginnings of SSRI Syndrome :(

google that, its not pretty...

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
at the moment we all live under a system that means if we get depressed, the doctors prescribe us something that may increase suicidality.

Can someone please tell me how this Makes Sense.

:scratch:
It's understandable within historical & cultural context as to how we have ended up with a drug based/biomedical health/psychiatric system.

i think it will take about another 20 years before there is any kind of real shift within these areas. What is needed is a meta-paradigm shift, a move away from materialism, that really is what this boils down to.

Current paradigm - mind is brain, psychological/emotional distress equals problem with the brain equals diagnose & medicate.

What's needed is a different story around it all -

https://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/thread148458.html

S

Stray

Interesting as I have a CBT assessment soon, yet I have been prescribed Venlafaxine and Mirtizapine recently; are they SSRI's?[/QUOTE]
Hi, these aren't SSRI's.I think SSRI's are often prescribed first line and then other drugs are tried if these don't "work". x