SSRIs for OCD

-Phoenix-

-Phoenix-

Anyone have some measure of success with the SSRIs for OCD?

As far as the guidelines go, not all of the SSRIs are licensed for OCD. The licensed ones are:

- Fluoxetine
- Fluvoxamine
- Paroxetine
- Sertraline

(Citalopram and Escitalopram are not licensed for OCD).

I tried paroxetine and was sent to zombieland at 20mg.

I am on 20mg fluoxetine at the moment and the psychiatrist wants me to eventually go up to 60mg. He theorizes that by treating the OCD it will also treat the depression. Problem is, I've been on fluoxetine for 2 weeks and I am feeling sedation similar to that of paroxetine, with no improvement on my OCD symptoms yet. And if I'm finding 20mg sedating, I might not be able to get out of bed at 60mg. Still, that would stop me being compulsive. I'd just become a Pure-O. :p

I'm looking for some sort of reassurance that these things have actually worked for some people. Anyone?

Oh, and I've no complaints about unsuccessful stories, they are part of life too so it's all good. Please post about your tales of woe if you feel the urge.

o.c.d24/7

o.c.d24/7

risperdal

Hi just like you 2 know im also ob fluoxetine and ate working great because i also take risperdal another drug given by psychiatrists. Have a word with your doctor to discuss other medications, feeling great after taking risperdal

-Phoenix-

-Phoenix-

Hehe, I finally got a response. Thanks for that o.c.d24/7. :)

As it turns out I'm still on 20mg fluoxetine and I think it's working much better than it did. No need for me to go any higher. You do have to give them a chance to work. I'd say it was 8 weeks before I felt any benefit.