SSRIs for anxiety and depression- Stories and Experiences?

Hikikomori1979

Hikikomori1979

Im not big on meds, but a spate of experiences had me unable to feel anything positive at all.

im keen to hear out the stories of those who took SSRIs in order to get themselves back on track?

Thanks in advance

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

The only medication that I can speak of is Lexapr. After research and advises from friends in the medical field, I finally decided to try something after dealing with ptsd, anxiety and depression for the past 14 years.

I am not fully on track but I can tell you that I am getting there almost. My panic attacks are next to nonexistent. My anxiety is way less and much under control. Depression is a bit there but I think it’s do to me staying home all the time. I am more happy days than bad ones. I started to play with my children more and enjoy being around family.

It comes with side effects when I first started. It made me sleepy and yawning a lot. Dry mouth and some headaches that will decrease as my body adjusted.

I saw results within 3 days of starting. I also had to do some adjustments to the dosage few times until I found the right amount. I started with 10 mg and now at 25 mg. I used to take it at 10 pm everyday but it was making me very sleepy starting at 7 am till 2 pm. Now, I take it at 5 pm and I like it.

You have to experiment with the dosage and what of the day that will suit you.

Another thing that I’ve heard and read that some people do better on Lexapro the brand name. I am on Escitalopram, the generic type and it’s doing the job.

I hope this gives an insight on this lexapro.

S

Ste123

I’m in the same boat as you by the sounds of it, not big on taking meds but feel like I need to at this point.
Just started on 50mg of Sertraline, haven’t had any bad side affects yet but it may be too soon. Definitely don’t feel any better though. I’m going to put an update on the forum of how I’ve felt after each week to see if that helps.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Hi. Medications like Sertraline typically take 4-6 weeks before one can expect to see any relief from symptoms. It needs to build up. Unfortunately the side effects tend to emerge a lot sooner.

Regarding not wanting to take medications for mental illness, let me hear your thoughts. Stigma is a huge issue concerning antidepressants, anti-anxiety and antipsychotic medications. If you've ever thought of them as a crutch, worries they may be addictive, concerns about effects or side effects, withdrawal - anything, let's talk.

S

Ste123

It’s not just mental health meds it’s all medication with me. I’ve been the same as long as I can remember.
I will say though, when my GP suggested starting the Sertraline I did have a few worries. Mainly based around becoming dependent on them and strangely worried about never being the same after taking them. Sounds totally ridiculous I know but that’s probably more to do with my current anxiety issues.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
buzzbuzz Anxiety Forum 6
D Anxiety Forum 3
R Anxiety Forum 0
T Anxiety Forum 3
R Anxiety Forum 0