• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Sports and depression / anxiety

B

BigT

This chat is for all current and past athletes who are struggling with depression and anxiety

B

BigT

Hello. I am a ex professional football player who suffers from severe depression and anxiety . I started suffering in university , were I was basically told to toughen up and move on and just put me on a bunch of meds. I was never able to play to my potential even though I was able to make it pro , I have so many regrets of what else I could have done and accomplished . My pro career ended because my depression was so bad I began to self medicate just to get through a day at practice . I became an addict for many years because of it..lost my career and had to start from scratch . The REGRET eats me up everyday !! I find its hard for non athletes to understand this..I've been to see so many different counselors over the years and still havnt been able to fill that void of regret.

R

RedYeti

I’ve always found sport as my escape from my problems. When I’m feeling real bad I just put my headphones in and hoop on my own. Helps me feel present, no matter how the world is the ball still bounces the same.
always been a bit weird/an oddball, found it kind of helps having a differently wired brain when playing, people don’t care about my weirdness if I can play.

Kind of fell out of love playing recently. Felt really under appreciated by my team, the amount of work I put into my game, coaching juniors just to be snubbed or looked over. The sacrifices I made man.

I went from being on my death bed to my first selection for an international tournament in a year (something I’ve only now started to appreciate, I think it’s the only thing I’m really proud of in my life).
I’m going back to my home team once I’ve graduated. I’m a lot more mentally tough from battling a rough patch of depression and anxiety. If they can’t appreciate me I probably won’t play.

P

PerpetuallyStuck

I never even managed to begin a career. I trained with a local football team (english football). They said I could come back for another training session, but I felt out of place. I only went there once. I had people praising me for my goalkeeping abilities (other college students). Some of which had trials at league clubs. It was always a lot of pressure to go to new places and prove myself. Plenty of people doubt me based on appearance and lack of confidence, but I think I could have at least been good enough to play at local level. Oh well, I'm almost 33. I can run and move as well as I did back when I was 18, but I'm sure I'll degrade within the next 5-10 years. Shame.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Is this the depression talking or am I onto something? Depression Forum 3
W No job, no joy, nothing. Depression is killing me. Depression Forum 15
L Depression from grief and blame. Depression Forum 4
T Depression from Sleep Disorders/Difficulties Depression Forum 3
M Tired of fighting depression. Depression Forum 5
L Male postpartum depression Depression Forum 1
M Depression due loneliness, anyone else ? Depression Forum 9
U Rapidly developing depression symptoms Depression Forum 2
M Discussing my depression with SO Depression Forum 5
starfoxxy90 Greif and Loss with depression.. Depression Forum 2
S Help! My partners depression effect our family Depression Forum 6
MeAndMyDepression Cognitive distortions and depression Depression Forum 1
D Why do I seemingly not want to get better? Loneliness, failing university, depression, severe anxiety, and not doing anything about it Depression Forum 6
P Numb Emotions and Not Feeling Love Because of Depression Depression Forum 4
MeAndMyDepression Who has concentration/memory problems because of depression? Depression Forum 5
MeAndMyDepression Do you know people who are jealous of your depression? Depression Forum 3
anex Depression and other mental health woes Depression Forum 3
J Depression or quiet BPD? Depression Forum 2
MeAndMyDepression Depression Jokes Depression Forum 2
MeAndMyDepression Does anyone else suffer from bipolar depression? Depression Forum 9
JackieBlue Overwhelmed with depression and grief! Depression Forum 11
T Depression and Anxiety - possibly triggered by medication Depression Forum 1
M Girlfriend has depression and has pushed away. Need advice/support Depression Forum 2
L Relationship Causing Depression Depression Forum 2
M Sharing my Experience of Major Depression Depression Forum 1
J SPRAVATO for Treatment Resistance Depression Has anyone used Spravato? Depression Forum 3
MarieRose Severe depression and isolation due to 3rd lockdown. Depression Forum 2
D Hi I'm new here and have suffered depression since early 90's Depression Forum 6
T Advice for you on loniless and depression Depression Forum 5
S obsession with depression Depression Forum 2
T Depression and studies Depression Forum 5
H Husband has depression Depression Forum 3
IcyShadow Poem about Depression Depression Forum 2
A Sexually based depression Depression Forum 9
A Suffering from a depression whose reason I don't realise. Depression Forum 13
P Cheating Spouse and Depression Depression Forum 6
Hardknocks88 New normal depression Depression Forum 1
M Depression and Narcissm Depression Forum 2
Barny67 Clarity after depression. Depression Forum 4
C Am I causing my girlfriend's depression? Depression Forum 11
J Depression and misguided actions Depression Forum 10
E Excessive sleep+depression+OCD= lost Depression Forum 2
C Loneliness and Depression Depression Forum 8
S My boyfriends depression has become worse and now he’s acting mean? Depression Forum 63
H At a loss - Not sure what else to try to help depression Depression Forum 6
L My Depression...and Yours Depression Forum 5
Carol1952 Sleeping a lot due to depression Depression Forum 17
M Agitated Depression Depression Forum 6
J Hello All. Living with someone in depression Depression Forum 1
J Depression and University Depression Forum 9