'Splitting' and Borderline Personality Disorder.

dib4uk

dib4uk

yes i totally get that lol, especially when i was daiting my ex boyfriend. What a traumatic time that was!

ally41

ally41

I think this is a VERY narrow definition of splitting. In my therapy we talk about splitting as a definition of literally splitting off parts of the self. It's the mind's response to trauma or unmanageable situations. When you experience 'being' a different person in different situations or around different people, this is one manifestation of splitting. When parts of the self that can see certain truths, i.e. the 'bad' parts of a person are not present, say when beginning a new relationship, then we are split and will only notice the 'good' parts. When you dissociate and experience depersonalisation, this is another manifestation of splitting. We talk often in therapy about how to notice that we are split and how that makes us feel and respond to others and certain situations. It's because different parts have different experiences and emotions. In my therapy we work on listening to all the parts and acting on all of them together so we can make 'group' agreements within ourselves and therefore be more present in our lives and less split. Splitting uses a huge amount of mental energy and is ultimatley very costly, hence the inevitable development of mental illness symptoms. Also if we stay split, we condemn ourselves to a lifetime of poor decisions and unrealistic fantasies.

maxitab

maxitab

I understand splitting in another way than all of this.
It is a term used by health professionals to refer to the knack we have of setting therapists and professionals up against one another, a projection of our own all or nothing thinking.....