• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Spirituality

L

LPSW

Founding Member
Hi, I'm posting for the first time. Anyone been asked about their spirituality as part of their treatment?

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
hi LPSW:welcome:

i haven't , have you ? does it make a difference ? I guess that "faith" is an important factor in the healing process ... not necessarily faith in a deity , but faith in yourself , faith in your ability to be healed ?

L

LPSW

Founding Member
I have recurring bouts of depression never been an in patient tho. I've never been asked about my own spirituality - how I make sense of life and deal with the big issues. I agree, having faith is a big part of healing whether from a religious perspective or not. Many approaches to treatment never give these things a consideration, but I guess if the professionals haven't got it sorted how can they assist service users! :tea:

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
My psychiatrist suggested I speak about bereavement with a priest as he felt they deal with loads of people that have gone through similar expereinces and could talk about it from a different perspective.

last time i spoke to psychiatrist he suggested i become a church 'busy body' as this would give me a focus - i would be a part of a social group and would gain something from helping others - nothing about spirituallity though

L

LPSW

Founding Member
The Christian faith is one spirituality, the last eight years it has certainly transformed my life and helped me to understand what life is about. Most people probably think of it or have experienced it as boring rules rather than a sensory experiential relationship. Depends where you go and what you're after I suspect, and of course how open you are to something new. Strangely I came into contact with it as I suffered a bereavement of my dad - helped me to make sense of things rather than be bitter n twisted!

D

Dollit

I don't think spirituality has anything to do with religion or belief in a God. Spirituality comes from being at peace with oneself and about knowing where you are in the big scheme of things. Some people may try to attain those things from religiion or God but they're not the only paths to spirtuality. :)

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
i think its quite a contentious issue ...

spirituality is individual and means different thing to different people .

to me i think its simply "faith"

R

rose

Founding Member
dollit are you pagan by any chance wicca ,as not many people use the word dieties
sorry to hijak post
not to good on the religion thing ie christian /catholic
but hope you find theanswers you need:)

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
dollit are you pagan by any chance wicca ,as not many people use the word dieties
sorry to hijak post
not to good on the religion thing ie christian /catholic
but hope you find theanswers you need:)

think it was me that said deities

i think if i wasn't so cynical these days my leaning would be towards something pagan ..

R

rose

Founding Member
:oops:, my bad , what with your dieties and dolit other way to faith
not hard to confuse me sometimes:redface:

D

Dollit

Sorry Rose but I never mentioned either deities or faith. I don't believe that there has to be an outside factor to influence spirituality. I confuse a lot of people who tell me that I'm the most spiritual person they've met so why do I call myself an atheist? Ah naivety!

Mistaken Identity

Mistaken Identity

Founding Member
I was asked if I believed in a 'higher being' once in a course of DBT, and I said no. However I'm unsure whether there is or not, and I know I will never have the faith to find out, so I'm quite happy toddling around life godless.

D

Dollit

I don't think it's about having the faith to find out Katy or having the belief that you don't need to know. I've done the whole religious thing (prolonged mania and I almost joined a convent) and realised that it didn't really matter. I also realised many years ago that you don't actually have to believe in anything if that's the way it is. Relief I'll tell you. ;)

L

LPSW

Founding Member
Well I don't think spirituality needs to be contentious as long as we are graceful enought to respect the different positions and beliefs about it. We all need to make sense of what life is about cos lets face it, it can be pretty awful some times - thats what I call spirituality. What I am passionate about is that people with mental health problems are given the opportunity to explain or explore this if they want to as part of their support. (y)

D

Dollit

I don't think that spirituality is a contentious issue - religion is but then we're not talking religion. Knowing your place in the universe isn't the same as knowing how you feel about god or the lack of god. I spend a lot of time just looking at stuff - through telescope, binoculars, magnifiers, microscope and when I look at how small stuff gets and keeps on going (I'm thinking tardigrades here) to how big stuff gets (I've seen Jupiter with 4 moons and I've seen the rings of Saturn) where I am just sort of slots in. I'm content to be in that spot. That peace of knowing where you fit in - that's my spirituality.