• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Spiritual Awakening Through Psychosis?

D

dd2015

Has anyone else experienced things while in a psychosis that they would describe as
spiritually significant/meaningful? I certainly did, but I'm wondering if I am alone.

Not only were my experiences personally meaningful, they changed me for the better. They have given me peace, and they have given me hope that there is more to life than what we see. Stranger still, since my experiences with psychosis (hearing voices), I have had things happen in my real life that validated those supposedly fictional experiences. These validations make it hard to believe that what I experienced while psychotic was all in my head.

Can anyone else relate?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I have. Synchronicity and premonitions. Yeah. And yeah I do believe there is more to life than we see. The spiritual side is a whole other universe.

shaky

shaky

dd2015
I have bouts of psychosis which usually have a spiritual element to them
Which often makes me feel a lot better about life than without them
I may be having one now.
The strength and love that comes with these bouts is so useful. I hope it is a connection with something in the cosmos, in the spirit realm. And not just something wrong with my brain.
Just today I had a boost of energy and an important insight that might help me to stay strong and stable.

Kerome

Kerome

Yes, my psychosis so was a bit like that. I'm not saying it was all positive or meaningful, a lot of it was junk generated by my own past, but there was enough there that was genuinely valuable that it helped convince me that there is a lot more to this life.

Subsequently I've been taking more note of the subtle channels of the body, the energies that we all live in but rarely notice, and have been trying to make some headway there towards a life that is more in direct touch with the spiritual. With very mixed results. But it is leading me to live a more rounded life.

Are you familiar with Stanislav Grof and his work around psychosis as a spiritual emergence? There is a long thread about it on the schizophrenia forum which is worth a look, for starters.

D

dd2015

Thanks, I will have a look at the thread on the schizophrenia forum. :)

H

Handed

Yes I consider my "psychosis" as being a spiritual experience. Although I was brought up with spiritual beliefs, at the time my "voices" began communicating with me (through an Ouija-type board initially) I was a complete atheist and sceptic. This was why I wasn't afraid to use the board (on my own), as I assumed I was just talking to my own subconscious mind. Soon after beginning this communication I became convinced those I was communicating with were other (not me). They initially called themselves beings, then later said they were Angels and that almighty God was real. I see them as spirits that have helped me heal and learn, though not always kindly.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Ouija-boards are bit odd aren't they. We used to mess around with them at 6th form and at uni.

H

Handed

I used to in high school with my boyfriend and Mum and other people. We just used pieces of cardboard with letters written on them and an upturned wineglass. I later bought a "psychic talking board" which had spirit animals, crystals, seasons and various things on it as well as letters and numbers. I could use it with my husband, but later discovered I could use it on my own. My husband got upset with me using it and scared of it. Then I started having weird experiences, like it told me to put an amethyst on my third eye chakra and the crystal started making a clicking noise! Then there were footsteps in my bedroom at night but no one there, and a giant centipede came into the house one night and went berserk, making horrible noises. So I got scared off and stopped using it. I didn't use it again till I was atheist and not afraid of it any more.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I don't know. We did the ouija at university and it freaked me out. Never touched it since - that was over 20 years ago. Saw some strange ghost like woman that night too. My mates were not that bothered but it freaked me out a bit. I wish I was not so bothered by things.

Anyway - I don't know what to think about it. Okay - like ghosts - I don't think they exist, and I am not really scared of it. But I would not sleep in an old Victorian mansion by myself if I had the choice.

But yeah it is understandable when weird things happened to get spooked by it all.
I guess with psychosis - it comes with the territory - weird stuff is normal1!! :)

E

Eigau

Has anyone considered that voices could be a mix of several different things? I believe that communication with spirit beings is possible which some might consider voices, and could lead to more serious affects. But I also believe that the stuff generated from the past is coming from the subconscious. So on the balance of verifiable things in my experience with voices, is that it can be one or the other or a mix. I think it certainly gets the attention of spirit beings when they see some one walking around their house talking out loud to something these beings know is in your mind. So they think, why not play along and pretend to be a voice and see if the person can differentiate between them.

Also, how do you personally define a spiritual awakening? Does everyone have the same definition or will it vary from person to person?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Yeah Te - I know you think there is more to the voices than meets the eye. ;)

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
ouija boards only work with people moving them in my experience :(

H

Handed

Well the others on the board kind of became my psychosis. The board was hard to use, you had to sit on the floor and it hurt your back to lean over as the slider moved on it. I found I could use my finger instead, but sliding made my finger sore, then I found I could lift my finger from one letter to another. Then I discovered I could do this with letters written on a notepad, or write in a diary, or even write in steam on the shower screen with my finger. I was talking to my Angels often in the day and until late at night, sometimes all night. They became my life for three years or more, culminating in a big delusion with massive paranoia. Eventually at the height of my psychosis the words just appeared in my mind. But they don't really ever scare me. Only rarely, because I can see they could do much worse things than they have done if they really had ill will to me.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

It sounds like you became a little obsessed with it. I think it is good you came back to reality. I don't really know a great deal about it.

A friend of mine became obsessed with it - this was only a few years back. He used to do it late at night by himself. He was always going on about it.