• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Spiritual attacks

M

Myheadhurts

Hi. I believe in God and in the Holy Spirit because it was given to me after I pleaded with God for help. It helps hold me back from being stupid or uncaring and shines a light for me when nothing else could in the hard times. Before that I felt like I had been going through horrible attacks from the devil. But I really don't know if it was that or just a very broken brain. It is very hard to be a Christian who pleases God when the body is attacked by illness and the brain has to stay strong. I feel like its a fight for my soul, not just my body. Recently I'm doing better so prayers are getting answered, but I think the best thing God did was to just stick with me. I don't know why things are the way they are but I wondered if there was anyone else out there with a similar story.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

hello MichelleBells
i do wonder regarding my life experiences. when i l00k back and with hindsight i was certainly very busy being distracted chasing hollow worldly things. it is only on reflection gradually over the last 5 years..not good with reflection as up until recently i had rapid thoughts which blocked or frustrated any meaningful lasting fruitful progress.

its weird that you should post this today as i have just today with reflection (yes managing to this) reg my non existent prayer life has this week has gradually happened. after years of being negative about prayer. and seeing for myself a positive outcome 3 times in about 10 days. i dont get positive outcomes normally o sure once in a blue moon and then i would dismiss it as the negativity would win the day.

the next hurdle for me is fellowshiping but i have a feeling that i have just got to do this as this is where i am finding the fruit so to speak.

i think i maybe have had promptings over the years but have ignored them as being maybe mental stuff in some cases. also being around people that have to have what i call the drums and whistle experience which plain switches me off. and other experiences that were unexplainable i just plain fashionably ignored.

i have always felt that i certainly dont fit into this world not cos i am anyone special certainly not that. and i dont really feel quite right on the spiritual (by spiritual i mean Jesus and not new age). and i felt very lost and without hope. so things are looking upbeat at the mo. but i mustn't take this for granted and sit back. . . because trial's do come along its inevitable...

pepecat

pepecat

Hi Michelle

Unfortunately, being a christian does not guarantee us a nice life with no pain or illness or suffering. We're human, just like everyone else, and we're going to get sick and go through crappy times, just like everyone else.
I guess the difference is that we can try and hang on to God through those times and hope that he'll help us through them. I'm not sure there is a whole of point asking 'why' - 'why me' etc. 'Why do I have to go through this, i've been a good christian and I've prayed, etc'..... It's a bit like banging your head on a brick wall.
Why not us?
Sometimes, (I think) God lets us go through stuff and we have no idea why, or what it's all for, but its only months or years later that it starts to make sense. It can feel like we've been abandoned and there's no hope at times - and you know what, that's ok. You can feel that way. It is what it is, and some of the time ot's the most awful, horrible thing ever. It might feel like there's no rhyme or reason to it, that nothing is fair, and that's ok. Often, it doesn't make much sense or we don't know why it's happening, but as i said, it might be months or years later that things kinda start to take on some meaning for us.

Not usre that makes sense......

T

Tonic

Former member
I can relate very very closely to what you wrote.

Although I have psychosis, my faith and spirituality are separate from that. I keep them separate. My faith is important to me and has helped me so so so much! Seriously.

But medical people, especially mental health nurses and mental health care coordinators will not like anything to do with faith or spirituality.

So don't talk to them about God. Trust me on this one. If you want to talk about God then talk to someone in church or a local vicar. You could even send them an email if you don't know them well or don't want to take up too much of their time.

If you are not sure whether what is going on spiritually, whether it is due to mental illness or actually the Holy Spirit, then ask a vicar. Trust me. You will regret talking to any one who works in mental health about your faith.

I believe G-d does exist. G-d is good. Trust in G-d. Jesus is alive. Jesus saves.

With me, both things are real and I have to find a balance. I believe in God and I also believe I have a mental illness.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Myheadhurts

Thank you so much for the advice. I think your right about being careful about talking to much about it to the wrong people. Thankfully I have a really good church that prays for me and has stood beside me when I've had issues so I try to talk mainly to them. It's just really good to hear of others in my position who also share the faith that I hold on to. I do need to find a ballance. Thank you again for your comments. Just one thing, what is a vicar? Sorry, I feel stupid to not know.

N

naominash

When I'm attacked with terrible thoughts, I sometimes just begin to praise and worship God. This has calmed me during a full scale panic attack.

I cry out to God and talk to Him. Sing my favorite hymns.

I believe the Enemy is confused by this. At the name of Jesus, he must fall back.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mystic55

I am attacked by the devil too, physically and mentally. Its so discouraging cause i know i did nothing to deserve it. Im honestly so tired of this fight and i could tell you so much more.

Last edited:
N

naominash

My biggest armor from spiritual attacks come from encouraging people lifting me up in the Lord.

I feel zero demonic presence when this happens. We weren't meant to do this alone.

Kerome

Kerome

My armour is reason, my weapons clear vision and awareness. Ask yourself, what makes a devil a devil? Once you take it apart, piece by piece, and look at whether it is reasonable to believe this, it is not so frightening. Finding what is true in the midst of ignorance and wrong views can clear up many things.

My biggest armor from spiritual attacks come from encouraging people lifting me up in the Lord.

I feel zero demonic presence when this happens. We weren't meant to do this alone.

There is a lot of comfort and support in the presence of the ones we trust. And also in the things we cherish, I fill my house with momentoes of good times... When I go places I buy fridge magnets, on holiday i like to get photo books, I keep presents that special people give me, I have a yellow rubber ducky in the bathroom to remind me of good times when I was young.

When I feel down I go look at my fridge to be reminded of all the places I have been, or I look at photo albums, or at the postcards I got from the people at the day centre when I left.

N

naominash

My armour is reason, my weapons clear vision and awareness. Ask yourself, what makes a devil a devil? Once you take it apart, piece by piece, and look at whether it is reasonable to believe this, it is not so frightening. Finding what is true in the midst of ignorance and wrong views can clear up many things.

There is a lot of comfort and support in the presence of the ones we trust. And also in the things we cherish, I fill my house with momentoes of good times... When I go places I buy fridge magnets, on holiday i like to get photo books, I keep presents that special people give me, I have a yellow rubber ducky in the bathroom to remind me of good times when I was young.

When I feel down I go look at my fridge to be reminded of all the places I have been, or I look at photo albums, or at the postcards I got from the people at the day centre when I left.

Aww. I use colors the same way, almost like 'talismans'. Purple is my favorite and means quite a lot to me. Purple makes me feel safe.