Spirits travel through their own kind of world

S

spiritfriend

Like in the movie Spirited Away. It's like they have their very own bathhouse.

I don't have a religion, and sometimes I wonder if I ever will have one.
But here are some of my beliefs: Spirits come in different forms and are connected to Mother Nature (we all are). Some are trapped and lost. Some are helpful and others are mischievous. They can connect with the living. Animals are probably able to notice them.

I created a thread before on afterlife and reincarnation. I became even more interested in such things after my first suicide attempt. It was interesting to read what other people shared. So I'm hoping to learn new things here.

I keep an open mind towards what other people believe in.
When it comes to nature, like being in a forest, I imagine it being like a city for spirits. They could be looking out for you. They could be watching the world continue to grow.
I often wonder if there's an 'ending' for them. Like death is for us. Do spirits go on forever? It's fun to think about.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i am fascinated by it all & always have been. i have read/researched a lot on all these subjects. There are a lot of very interesting writings on it all, & things do correlate.

S

spiritfriend

i am fascinated by it all & always have been. i have read/researched a lot on all these subjects. There are a lot of very interesting writings on it all, & things do correlate.
I wonder what the spirits look like. Again, I like to imagine them in the way they appear in Spirited Away. They probably come in so many different forms. It must look amazing.

S

spiritfriend

Maybe it all depends on what kind of person you are in life. Like your personality plays a huge role in the type of spirit you'll be. Kodama are spirits that live in trees (like in Princess Mononoke). I can imagine an entire forest being filled with these spirits.
It's also interesting to see what different cultures believe in when it comes to this.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Maybe it all depends on what kind of person you are in life. Like your personality plays a huge role in the type of spirit you'll be. Kodama are spirits that live in trees (like in Princess Mononoke). I can imagine an entire forest being filled with these spirits.
It's also interesting to see what different cultures believe in when it comes to this.
i'd think that there are myriad types of soul/spirit.

N

NeatMonster

When I was sleeping rough in Malaga, Spain, a bunch of guys tried to steal my rucksack while I was sleeping. I caught them doing it and a fight broke out. There were six or seven of them I think. They left me for dead. I remember crawling through lots of plantation and making my way up the side of a deserted hill. I swallowed so much blood that it felt as if I was choking, but I just wouldn't stop bleeding.

I remember laying on my back and looking up at the stars and calmly thinking 'well, this is it ... this is where I die.' I was so tired I just accepted it. I didn't resist; I just gave in to death.

The next thing I was aware of was a huge wolf licking my face ... I could smell its breath and its fur and I could hear it licking the blood from my face. It stopped for a moment and looked me straight in the eye and I remember saying 'thank you.' It just looked at me for a long time; like three inches away from my face. I watched it disappear into thin air in front of my eyes.

I stood up and walked down the hill again, repeatedly saying 'thank you, thank you'

To this day I believe that wolf was a kind spirit, Luna.

Kerome

Kerome

I agree. And that's when why they should all get to visit a bathhouse.
They probably need it... I think human greed and other negative emotions are likely a polluting factor for spirits below a certain level.

Do spirits go on forever?
Buddhism holds that nothing is permanent, except for a few abstract concepts like emptiness. The Buddha also said that nowhere in his journeying within himself had he ever found something that could be termed a 'self'. So in a way, perhaps we have no soul or spirit, and are just a process that carries on forward.

S

spiritfriend

When I was sleeping rough in Malaga, Spain, a bunch of guys tried to steal my rucksack while I was sleeping. I caught them doing it and a fight broke out. There were six or seven of them I think. They left me for dead. I remember crawling through lots of plantation and making my way up the side of a deserted hill. I swallowed so much blood that it felt as if I was choking, but I just wouldn't stop bleeding.

I remember laying on my back and looking up at the stars and calmly thinking 'well, this is is ... this is where I die.' I was so tired I just accepted it. I didn't resist; I just gave in to death.

The next thing I was aware of was a huge wolf licking my face ... I could smell its breath and its fur and I could hear it licking the blood from my face. It stopped for a moment and looked me straight in the eye and I remember saying 'thank you.' It just looked at me for a long time; like three inches away from my face. I watched it disappear into thin air in front of my eyes.

I stood up and walked down the hill again, repeatedly saying 'thank you, thank you'

To this day I believe that wolf was a kind spirit, Luna.
First, I'm so glad you made it out of that kind of situation. That's terrifying. It actually angered me that someone would do that to you.

And second, yes I believe the wolf was some kind of spirit. I'm glad that wolf was there and I'm happy you're safe now. Maybe that spirit is still looking out for you. You never know.

N

NeatMonster

First, I'm so glad you made it out of that kind of situation. That's terrifying. It actually angered me that someone would do that to you.

And second, yes I believe the wolf was some kind of spirit. I'm glad that wolf was there and I'm happy you're safe now. Maybe that spirit is still looking out for you. You never know.
When things get difficult I like to think that that wolf knows where I am and what's happening. I'll remember that wolf until the day I die. I've often felt that someone or something is looking out for me. I'd like to see that wolf again :)

S

spiritfriend

When things get difficult I like to think that that wolf knows where I am and what's happening. I'll remember that wolf until the day I die. I've often felt that someone or something is looking out for me. I'd like to see that wolf again :)
I believe you will. Hopefully in a peaceful situation.

N

ninnie

I have a very scientific world view myself, but this is very enticing.

At some point when I was in secondary school, I liked to imagine there were ghosts ("mörköjä" = bogeymen, but the word is stupid.) living in dark places. Everyone would have one under their bed to protect them from unkind spirits which walked the streets by night. I was often afraid of the dark, so it was nice to imagine the darkness under my bed was not the residence of something scary, but something kind that was easily mistaken to be hostile. Sometimes, especially as a child you might accidentally catch a glimpse of their figure or their eyes. The one under my bed had orange eyes.
The ghosts lived in other places too, like closets and the basement. I would give them names and talk to them, apologize for disturbing them in the day. They were there to protect the house.

S

spiritfriend

I also think it's important to focus on the spirit within ourselves. Because we all have some type of spirit, right? And I guess different cultures connect it with animals or plants or other parts of nature.
My mom just shared something that touched my heart. She said when she had to deal with cancer two times, the one thing that she felt kept her going was thinking about me. She wanted to watch me grow up. I'm really glad that she survived and had the right treatments.

S

spiritfriend

I also think it's important to focus on the spirit within ourselves. Because we all have some type of spirit, right? And I guess different cultures connect it with animals or plants or other parts of nature.
My mom just shared something that touched my heart. She said when she had to deal with cancer two times, the one thing that she felt kept her going was thinking about me. She wanted to watch me grow up. I'm really glad that she survived and had the right treatments.
I was the only one who got to visit my mom in the hospital. Kids were usually not allowed in that part of the hospital, but the doctor let me visit. The doctor didn't trust my dad or the rest of his side of the family. I guess the doctor just knew how dysfunctional my dads family was.
I'm so happy to have my mom around. I don't know where I would be without her.

N

ninnie

When my grandma was sick with cancer she said she'd be sad to never have grandchildren. She's always had to eat a lot of meds and the valves in the veins of her legs don't work, so her legs are swollen and she doesn't walk too well, but she has been here to see us from childhood to this point.

(She was there to faint at the sight of my early born little brother :LOL: He was tiny and purple, with tubes everywhere. Now he's pretty tall and athletic.)

S

spiritfriend

In Princess Mononoke there are spirits that live in the trees called Kodama. They're from Japanese folklore and are shown in different cultures as well. So next time you visit a forest and you get lost, maybe the tree spirits will help you. But what do I know? :LOL:

Mononoke_Kodama.jpg

I remember when I was little I saw some sort of light while I was in bed. It was some sort of golden light, coming closer towards me. My first thought was that it was the tooth fairy. Because, why not? Then I thought an angel. But over the years this memory stuck to my mind. I still wonder if it was a real memory or just a dream. But I'm sure it was real! And after seeing that light, I remember feeling safe and calm.

S

spiritfriend

In the movie Cat Soup, the little kitten Nyatta tries to save his sisters soul, Nyāko. I think there's a moment where he enters the world of the dead because he sees his sister being taken by Jizou (Ksitigarbha) and manages to save half of her soul. The rest of the film is very surreal. And I think the meaning of the film is trying to save a loved one that's being taken away by death.
This made me remember how powerful spirits can be. But maybe they try to help humans (or cats, because of the movie) by sharing clues with them to offer them some sort of guidance. But in the end I guess they would much rather keep away from the living? I don't know. Because it seems like it's rare to ever see them.
One thing I believe is that everything connects in some sort of way. And what or who is gone probably won't be gone forever. There are different stages in life or death that involves spirits, humans, animals, anything. And you might come into contact with someone you met long ago.
Again, these are just my thoughts.

S

spiritfriend

In the movie Jane Eyre (2011) Helen Burns says to Jane: "You are loved. There’s an invisible world all around us. A kingdom of spirits commissioned to guard you, Jane. Do you not see them?"

I haven't read the book Jane Eyre. So I probably don't know much about the characters and their beliefs. But this quote stood out to me.