• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Spider phobia

J

Jem83

I have recently moved house on my own and I am finding it very difficult to relax especially at night in case a spider comes into the house.

D

Deleted member 91323

Hello Jem and welcome to the forum. I too fear spiders. I am sorry you are finding it hard to relax. Have you heard of cbt? It is a type of therapy that can be very helpful for phobias. Maybe it is something you may like to try.

J

Jem83

Thanks for your reply. I have tried hypnosis but that did not work. I have bought a spider catcher but unsure how I feel about this as the spider may escape. I will have a look at cbt as you kindly advised.

D

Deleted member 91323

Those catchers are designed so the spider cannot escape. I can understand your fear though.

J

Jem83

I also find myself drinking a glass of wine incase a spider appears, so that I’m not as afraid

D

Deleted member 91323

I can understand that. It is hard to see something that scares us.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

im terrified of them too
i often have nightmares it is hard to hear they are harmless when they scare us so
short term counselling can help with spider phobia

my support worker said her daughter can hold a tarantula in her hand but is scared of house spiders x

tartan extreme

tartan extreme

my support worker said her daughter can hold a tarantula in her hand but is scared of house spiders
There is a difference, yes. I cannot stand house spiders but I have held a tarantula. I think it's not to do with the look of the things, but their speed. A lot of tarantula breeds move very slowly and predictably. It's not scary.

In the house we live in we get those very thin spiders, I don't mind throwing those out the window. But anything else I hate. Interestingly enough it's house-related. Different types of houses get different types of spiders.

Arachnophobia is probably my main phobia. I've had it since childhood. If there was a spider in my bedroom as a child I couldn't sleep and would leave my room and wait down the corridor till I thought it had gone.

S

strawberrywater

Would it ease your mind if the outside perimeter is sprayed with an insecticide? There are also household-safe ones you can spray on your own inside your home.

But I understand how you feel. I'm very scared of those house centipedes, and I've lived for years with an infestation of them 😭

2Much2Feel

Lord, I just killed the biggest one ever last night in the house I moved into. This is my biggest fear. I was literally standing there thinking I'd rather have a serial killer in my house than this large of a spider. I hear you. Hard to sleep. Am having them come spray. Also, peppermint spray kills them on contact and also keeps them away if you spray it or put pouches around. Good luck with it. Ick.