• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Spider phobia

J

Jem83

I have recently moved house on my own and I am finding it very difficult to relax especially at night in case a spider comes into the house.

D

Deleted member 91323

Hello Jem and welcome to the forum. I too fear spiders. I am sorry you are finding it hard to relax. Have you heard of cbt? It is a type of therapy that can be very helpful for phobias. Maybe it is something you may like to try.

J

Jem83

Thanks for your reply. I have tried hypnosis but that did not work. I have bought a spider catcher but unsure how I feel about this as the spider may escape. I will have a look at cbt as you kindly advised.

D

Deleted member 91323

Those catchers are designed so the spider cannot escape. I can understand your fear though.

J

Jem83

I also find myself drinking a glass of wine incase a spider appears, so that I’m not as afraid

D

Deleted member 91323

I can understand that. It is hard to see something that scares us.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

im terrified of them too
i often have nightmares it is hard to hear they are harmless when they scare us so
short term counselling can help with spider phobia

my support worker said her daughter can hold a tarantula in her hand but is scared of house spiders x

tartan extreme

tartan extreme

my support worker said her daughter can hold a tarantula in her hand but is scared of house spiders
There is a difference, yes. I cannot stand house spiders but I have held a tarantula. I think it's not to do with the look of the things, but their speed. A lot of tarantula breeds move very slowly and predictably. It's not scary.

In the house we live in we get those very thin spiders, I don't mind throwing those out the window. But anything else I hate. Interestingly enough it's house-related. Different types of houses get different types of spiders.

Arachnophobia is probably my main phobia. I've had it since childhood. If there was a spider in my bedroom as a child I couldn't sleep and would leave my room and wait down the corridor till I thought it had gone.

S

strawberrywater

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Would it ease your mind if the outside perimeter is sprayed with an insecticide? There are also household-safe ones you can spray on your own inside your home.

But I understand how you feel. I'm very scared of those house centipedes, and I've lived for years with an infestation of them 😭

2Much2Feel

Lord, I just killed the biggest one ever last night in the house I moved into. This is my biggest fear. I was literally standing there thinking I'd rather have a serial killer in my house than this large of a spider. I hear you. Hard to sleep. Am having them come spray. Also, peppermint spray kills them on contact and also keeps them away if you spray it or put pouches around. Good luck with it. Ick.

P

planneraddict

I have the same phobia, to the point that I can't even look at pictures including realistic drawings, without getting that horrible sickly panic feeling. If I see a picture or anything which even resembles a spider, my body instantly makes me turn or look away. If I can't do that then I'll freeze up completely and can't speak or open my eyes. So besides the feeling of panic, it's a physical reaction that I can't control and I hate it so much.

For years I lived in high-rise apartments where I rarely encountered spiders at all, and I almost forgot that I had this phobia. Then I bought an old house, and since then it's been one of the banes of my life and at times it's even made me hate my house.

I have several cans of Raid (insecticide) all over the house, so that one is always within reach. I'm "fortunate" to have bad eyesight so if I take off my glasses, I can't see the spider clearly enough to prolong that panicky feeling, but I can still vaguely see where it is (depending on the size...). So I just blast it with Raid and then stand back. But the fear reaction is still so horrible when it's a big spider, and I can't even bring myself to dispose of it when it's dead, I just can't get near it.

I did mention it to a therapist once but she couldn't help me with it (because she has the same phobia...) and she was a bit dismissive, maybe because it seems like such a minor thing? But I like older houses, I wish I could enjoy gardening, I wish I could travel to tropical countries (half my family is in Philippines)...and this stupid phobia stops me from doing all of that.

I know everyone is different but my friend has the same phobia, and she did actually get therapy, but I think it's only reduced her fear to around the same level as mine. The fear hasn't gone away. So I feel like there's no point and I just have to deal with it :(