SOS - Depressive Episode

L

lilahwantstobehappy

I'm having a severe depressive and anxious episode. Help! What do I do? My mind is racing and I can't think clearly. I feel horrible.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Its horrible when you feel like this. My deepest sympathies, I understand all too well. Has something triggered this latest episode?

As for your mind racing, have you tried doing one thing very slowly and deliberately. So maybe take a piece of chocolate or a shower and do everything slowly. If its the chocolate for instance, then look at it, smell it feel its texture and finally taste it but don't eat it, just slowly. As you mind continues to race say to yourself that this is OK. Notice the thoughts and then draw the mind gently back to the chocolate (or whatever you are doing). Keep drawing the mind back and don't let it go chasing the thoughts down a rabbit hole.

The key is to do things slowly and with a lot of concentration. As I said, don't try to block your thoughts - it won't work anyway - but just acknowledge them. Notice what is around you, anything that distracts you, is the TV on, or are there cars outside or that neighbour slamming a door etc. Notice it and draw back to the chocolate (or shower or whatever). Try it and see if it helps.

L

lilahwantstobehappy

Thank you for the tips. I totally understand that; I've done that before. Next time, I just have to concentrate better. Luckily, I recovered. I went out with some friends and was a lot happier and relaxed. Thanks for responding!