• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Song Lyrics

D

Devon

I wonder who else feels the same, sometimes when listening to songs
I find the lyrics particularly appropriate to how I feel.

I don't mean the artist wrote the song specifically for me but that the lyrics seem to express just how I feel but am often unable to express to "sane people"

Simon & Garfunkel seem to have a particular resonance with me & what it seems they are trying to say.

or maybe I'm just a looney who thinks it always has to be about me :D

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
No you're not alone. During my periods of psychosis songs played a real significant role for me, sometimes increasing my thoughts, but sometimes as you say a comfort. One particular favourite that helped me was 'Don't give up' by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush, excellent song!!!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uiCRZLr9oRw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uiCRZLr9oRw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

A

Ainsworth

linkin park does that for me, some of the other songs are in my journel, music is powerful stuff as well as a comfort :)

D

Devon

Unfortunately sometimes it can go both ways.

When I'm feeling paranoid the words can sometimes reinforce the feelings in a sort of "See ! Even the song says I'm right. They are out to get me!" way.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member

When I'm feeling paranoid the words can sometimes reinforce the feelings in a sort of "See ! Even the song says I'm right. They are out to get me!" way.
I've so had that!!! For years the boundaries between my internal and external realities were blurred to say the least!!!

A

Ainsworth

they can but imo thats because we need them to, they make us feel that the emotion we are feeling is justified and in someway taken and so accepted. it can be done with alot of things, especially reading stuff.

does that make sense :unsure:

D

Devon

Undoubtedly, paranoia can distort our sense of reality and our perceptions.

I find having a friend/carer to try and anchor you in the real world and reflect back can help to stop the feelings running away with you.