Sometimes the state of the world depresses me (potentially triggering.)

• Thread starter Sarabi_Gyarados
  • Start date
S

Sarabi_Gyarados

Sometimes I think feeling depressed is a natural reaction to the state of the world and the state of being a human being.

Here are just some of the things that upset me when I think about them:

The Amazon is burning. There are wars going on. There is child slavery. Sex trafficking and slavery are huge. We exploit and hurt animals. Factory farming. Obesity. Cities consuming natural land. Polyamory and the rise of casual love and hookup culture. Tinder. Falling birth rates. Teachers not being shown respect. Murder. Abuse. People having to do jobs they hate.

I feel the world can be so cold and hard and unloving. I was very idealistic as a kid. I believed in fairy tales, the one, true love, Prince Charming, finding a job that mattered, people being trustworthy. I guess it hurts that the world didn't turn out to be the ideal I'd hoped for. Instead it can be a corrupt, cruel, exploitational place and I can be that way too.

I'm trying to see the best in the world and to help but I can be quite black and white in my thinking and see things as such a let down.

hicks

hicks

Whenever I get down thinking about the state of the world, I try to focus on the positives. There are still a lot of good things happening. And while you have virtually no control over these many bad things, you can definitely control your own little part of the world, and try to do the right things.

And maybe in some small way, you can influence the major problems.

D

dewey

I agree, the world is a jacked up place, and awful things happen.

My way of dealing is to ignore it most of the time, that's literally all you can do. It can be helpful to actually not watch the news. Ignorance is truly bliss.

We all have to accept we have no control over most of the world's suffering. If you actually registered for a moment how much suffering there is in the world right in this moment, it would literally topple you and destroy you. So it's unwise to think about and focus on it.

Some human beings will always be scum, and some human beings will always do scummy things.
It's the nature of life.

It's not your responsibility to focus on helping others in that sense. If you can just help yourself you're doing a great thing already, then there's one less person suffering in the world. There's a saying 'everyone wants to change the world, no one wants to change themselves'.
I am not saying you don't want to change yourself, but you see the sentiment of what I'm getting at.

Your own self-preservation is in many ways the key and the priority. If you have mastered that, or you feel like you want to fight for a cause or do something benevolent to help, then go for it. But all you can really do is alleviate the suffering where you can. A good saying people often ignore is ' you can't help others unless you help yourself first' . At which point , I need to sign off from here.

D

dewey

P.S. I sense that you are a really good person, you helped me on one thread and also your concern for humanity shows it too. You are already making the world a much better place, just by being you.

However people like you need to learn to put themselves first. Quite often they worry too much about others and neglect themselves. Others are on the other end of the spectrum and completely selfish. So remember that, you need to look after you too.

toutatis

toutatis

Yes, man is the worst animal this planet has known, all right. Very depressing state of affairs. You're right @Sarabi_Gyarados, all of these abominations against life, abominations against nature, do add to peoples disillusionment. And if a person is struggling with depressions and anxieties and God knows what else in the first place, then, it becomes very, very easy to just give up and leave the earth forever. And people do. I think in the U.S. alone over 40,000 people per year end their own lives - obviously for many different reasons but the bleakness and human failure is most certainly part of it.

Thank you.

T

Turnitoffandonagain

I don't want to argue politics on here. It doesn't mix well with talking about personal difficulties and insecurities. But I entirely agree in general. Personal and political things are all mixed up, irretrievably. And I have the same feeling of lack-of-control over anything about the wider political world as about my own circumstances. I can't even control what my own body does, yet alone what the economy or the political world does.

I've had therapists go on and on to me about neededing to feel more 'agency' - how can anyone look at history and think most individuals actually have any real control over what happens to them? Who's to say the therapist isn't the one with delusions in that respect?

T

Turnitoffandonagain

Whenever I get down thinking about the state of the world, I try to focus on the positives. There are still a lot of good things happening. And while you have virtually no control over these many bad things, you can definitely control your own little part of the world, and try to do the right things.

And maybe in some small way, you can influence the major problems.
That's precisely what I have massive doubts about.

D

dewey

I've had therapists go on and on to me about neededing to feel more 'agency' - how can anyone look at history and think most individuals actually have any real control over what happens to them? Who's to say the therapist isn't the one with delusions in that respect?
I hear you, and maybe your therapist doesn't have enough personal experience to get it.

I think it's about empowerment - having that thing inside you where you won't be defeated, no matter what 'they' do to you. Shit does sometimes happen, and when other people abuse you, you feel powerless. But somehow I do believe part of healing is empowering yourself, telling yourself, it doesn't matter what they do. They will never win, in the end, because I won't give them the satisfaction. The best way to do it is not to give them the power to take control and be open to the idea that you can still have good experiences in your life, somehow. Don't get me wrong, I get the power taken away from you thing, it's a highly emotional experience. Maybe I am speaking out of term, but it could be more nuanced than just control versus lack of control. Maybe it's more of a struggle for control and self-empowerment. Either you leave yourself to the wolves or you don't, I'm sorry if that sounds harsh and I do totally get the emotional intensity of some losses of control.

megirl

megirl

I know its hard but I used to worry myself sick, I would take it onboard as if I had a major part to play in this chaos.
There is a lot of good in the world. Try to focus on the small things around you rather than all that chaos.
Stand and look at the night sky. Try focus on the small things that are important. The media, the news etc only sell there stories through the negative stuff that's happening.
There is good stuff also. And one person can't change the world

megirl

megirl

When I was young like at primary school I had a dream of creating a good news paper lol something written without anything negative.

T

Turnitoffandonagain

I hear you, and maybe your therapist doesn't have enough personal experience to get it.

I think it's about empowerment - having that thing inside you where you won't be defeated, no matter what 'they' do to you. Shit does sometimes happen, and when other people abuse you, you feel powerless. But somehow I do believe part of healing is empowering yourself, telling yourself, it doesn't matter what they do. They will never win, in the end, because I won't give them the satisfaction. The best way to do it is not to give them the power to take control and be open to the idea that you can still have good experiences in your life, somehow. Don't get me wrong, I get the power taken away from you thing, it's a highly emotional experience. Maybe I am speaking out of term, but it could be more nuanced than just control versus lack of control. Maybe it's more of a struggle for control and self-empowerment. Either you leave yourself to the wolves or you don't, I'm sorry if that sounds harsh and I do totally get the emotional intensity of some losses of control.
I fear giving away too much personal information on here. But part of the issue is that most of my psychological issues are absolutely connected to the fact my parents spent their entire lives fanatically devoted to tring to change the world, and achieved precisely nothing, other than giving their children (which they probably shouldn't have had) 'issues'. Though I can also very clearly see how my parents were, in turn, made what they were by the traumatic and difficult social and political circumstances they grew up with (Phillip Larkin had it right, sigh).

Though I am not at all convinced my physical problems are directly related to the psychological ones. I could cope with either one on their own, I think.

I

indigo6

I hear u and totally agree with all the things you noted. When I was knee deep, thinking I could and should be able to do something I was wearing myself out.
You can only do what you can from where you are. Caring and speaking about these issues is as important as any other effort. Words have an effect too.
Being sensitive compassionate and passionate about these things are the good that comes from a delicate mind and I wouldnt trade it x

S

Sarabi_Gyarados

Being sensitive compassionate and passionate about these things are the good that comes from a delicate mind and I wouldnt trade it x

^ that's lovely Indigo, thank you x

I

indigo6

Its so true and, in a way...be grateful, I am x

S

Sarabi_Gyarados

Yes, man is the worst animal this planet has known, all right. Very depressing state of affairs. You're right @Sarabi_Gyarados, all of these abominations against life, abominations against nature, do add to peoples disillusionment. And if a person is struggling with depressions and anxieties and God knows what else in the first place, then, it becomes very, very easy to just give up and leave the earth forever. And people do. I think in the U.S. alone over 40,000 people per year end their own lives - obviously for many different reasons but the bleakness and human failure is most certainly part of it.

Thank you.
It is a shame because those sensitive souls are the ones the earth needs most.

I

indigo6

What if....the entire human race was given what we have?

B

barmcake

Even if I won the lottery and lived in paradise I would remain deeply troubled, as I would still be aware of horrendous suffering. Animal abuse cuts me like a knife and I'm all too aware of what's going on. I agree with everything you wrote in the post and can't give you any wise words. There is a lot of good in the world but knowing the bad is killing me inside.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

Sometimes I think feeling depressed is a natural reaction to the state of the world and the state of being a human being.

Here are just some of the things that upset me when I think about them:

The Amazon is burning. There are wars going on. There is child slavery. Sex trafficking and slavery are huge. We exploit and hurt animals. Factory farming. Obesity. Cities consuming natural land. Polyamory and the rise of casual love and hookup culture. Tinder. Falling birth rates. Teachers not being shown respect. Murder. Abuse. People having to do jobs they hate.

I feel the world can be so cold and hard and unloving. I was very idealistic as a kid. I believed in fairy tales, the one, true love, Prince Charming, finding a job that mattered, people being trustworthy. I guess it hurts that the world didn't turn out to be the ideal I'd hoped for. Instead it can be a corrupt, cruel, exploitational place and I can be that way too.

I'm trying to see the best in the world and to help but I can be quite black and white in my thinking and see things as such a let down.
I can relate when i was younger shit would just get me down the news, newspapers, tv bullshit i jusy dont consume the content its best to maintain some lv of sanity

toutatis

toutatis

It is a shame because those sensitive souls are the ones the earth needs most.
Yes.

And also I think depression, or a depressive state of mind, can be passed on to the child forming in the womb and to the baby growing up in the world, by what things and stimuli the child is regularly exposed to, and how the primary caregivers - and just people in general - interact with that child. So, in a way, we're all kind of responsible for each others mental health. It's about what we're all putting into this world in many senses, I believe.

Do you think that @Sarabi_Gyarados?