• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sometimes my therapist tells me about stressful things in her life

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
and I don't know how to respond and I feel like it escalates my stress.

B

blessing05

Cases happened to one of my friends before as she met a unprofessional therapist who was not passionate in the therapy session. You can get some nice articles written by professional therapist to read such as "How to Stop Your Depression Now" by Sharon Schurman" at 12just.com which i believe it eases you when u undergo your therapy session and you can adhere correspondingly.

Have glee and cheer. Sometimes willingness to listen to others may help you as they may trying to relate your case to theirs as a mechanism to assist you =)

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
and I don't know how to respond and I feel like it escalates my stress.
Have you told her its about you not her? Maybe write a letter for next session explaining how its effecting you. Bit unfair of them really, theyre a profesional and should know better

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't really know what to say because I like her and I don't want to make her feel bad. I also don't want her to think I don't care about her.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Maybe you could express that in the letter? At the end of the day the therapy is there to help you work through your stuff. Her stresses are irrelevant to your time really. Sorry to sound harsh eek!

V

VintageRabbit

If what she's sharing with you bothers
You that much; couldn't you report
Her? I thought you were happy with
Her?

G

glimmerofhope

Cut her off in mid-sentence and start talking about your own problems. She will get the hint.

FriendsAreFriends

FriendsAreFriends

But she also prescribes you chill-pills doesn`t she? Keep the houmor, and change therapist.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'd be inclined to have tolerance and compassion and perhaps say something like " i'm sorry you feel this way".

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Therapy is either expensive or hard to come by and limited, I think its selfish of the therapist to be using ypur time. If she wants to chat about her she should save it til after youve had your time! Youre too polite sprinkly! X

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i would tell her it is upsetting you and she should get her own therapist if she need to talk about her life.

pepecat

pepecat

She should be having regular supervision anyway, if not her own therapy. Most therapists are required (by whatever professional body they're registered with) to have supervision (once a month or so), and lots do keep up their own therapy as well. That would be the place to go into her own stuff - not with you really.

What sort of stuff is she telling you?

A

anklebiter

I once had a therapist who shared her issues with me, I reminded her I was paying a lot of money for her time and that if she wanted me to listen to her, then she could pay me. I was then accused of lacking empathy. I liked her and I felt sorry for her but no way was I going to work with someone who had so many issues of her own. I guess putting her problems on me was cheaper then seeing a supervisor. I never went back.