• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sometimes my mum really does annoy me

E

english rose

I do not cook, the number one reason is that I do not have the energy, but in addition there's the fact that I do not have a nice kitchen, I feel like if I had one of those kitchens you see on the TV adverts for places like Wickes or B&Q (with a window over-looking a big garden with fields beyond, but my kitchen window over-looks a small car park & the backs of some ugly buildings, with lots of fly-tipping) then I may well cook, but I don't so I only eat convenience food. My mum phones me up & tells me what she or her husband cooked for their dinner & says to me "you could do that", being so fed up with it I raise my voice & say "no I couldn't" & then she whines at me "there's no need to shout". She thinks she knows about depression because her husband allegedly suffers from it, well I am of the opinion that he's a fraud, maybe he has mild depression - but not like what I've got (and he hasn't got Aspergers like me); I don't get on with him. I have to be nice to my mum because she gives me money, once I did something she disapproved of & she cut me out of her will & she's got a decent sum in the bank which she got from the sale of her dad's house when he died. Anyway, so what if I only eat convenience food that I've took out of the fridge & put in the oven???

R

Rose19602

Your mother sounds a bit like me!....I nag my sons about eating properly too.
Maybe she cares about your health and wellbeing and wants to make sure that you look after yourself?

Sorry to fight her corner...but she sounds like she wants the best for you.
She may be annoying....but there are worse things than caring about your children!

x

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I agree with MissKitty in that it might be coming from a place of caring and wanting you to eat nutritional food.. having said that, I can completely understand that it must be frustrating and could almost feel like a bit of a disapproval from her.

Do you live alone?
I do, and sometimes going all out and cooking a meal from scratch just seems pointless because it's only me eating it.

I know it sounds bad, but could you tell a little white lie and say you made something simple like a pasta salad? I know being untruthful is wrong, but it might get her off your back for a bit. :(

E

english rose

I'm quite OCD about lying - I can't bring myself to do it. She's said it too many times now, I'm bored of it, it's like she doesn't listen & doesn't understand. She says she hopes that I win my appeal against the DWP, but I'm not a fraud - if I was well enough to cook (and keep my home as clean & tidy as she tells me it should be) then surely I'd be well enough to work.

I've lived alone for 20 years.

R

Rose19602

Well...after 20 years of living alone you will have developed your own ideas and ways of living.
I'm not surprised that she's still "on your back"....I think she cares about you....but we mums do have a habit of trying to impose our own standards...and yes, there is a time limit on that. 20 years certainly reaches it! Doubt you will ever change her though!

I hope you win your appeal - good luck with it.