Sometimes I wonder if my diagnosis is accurate

S

savavdpeas

Sometimes I wonder if I am even ill or not. Maybe I was just perceived as mentally ill, but I am not. Not every professional that I have seen over the past twelve+ years has diagnosed me unanimously. The first psychiatrist I saw said that I am in the beginning stages of psychosis. The second said I have Disorganized Schizophrenia. The third was a nurse practitioner; she was not clear about what her diagnosis was, nor was the APRN I saw after that. Next, I saw a psychiatrist who was also unclear about her diagnosis, but she suggested Bipolar Disorder. And after that I began seeing a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with Paranoid Schizophrenia. I have been going to him since November of 2015.

With all being said, it would make sense to just accept a diagnosis of Psychosis; seeing how Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder are both psychotic disorders.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
That's the thing with all these different professionals, it's hard for them to come to some sort of consensus regarding a diagnosis.

May I ask what symptoms you were having? Delusions, hallucinations, voice hearing?

I was having all three during my psychosis, I'm pretty much back to my old self now but I still hear a voice that isn't my own so I just call myself a 'healthy voice hearer', I still retain some pretty far out ideas about the origins of voices that some may consider delusional but to me it makes perfect sense.

L

lightmyway

You have a chemical disturbance in your brain, believe it and take your medications, they are good for you.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

You have a chemical disturbance in your brain, believe it and take your medications, they are good for you.
Dont say that bs medication is not always the answer the side effects almost always outweight what it does for you

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

Sometimes I wonder if I am even ill or not. Maybe I was just perceived as mentally ill, but I am not. Not every professional that I have seen over the past twelve+ years has diagnosed me unanimously. The first psychiatrist I saw said that I am in the beginning stages of psychosis. The second said I have Disorganized Schizophrenia. The third was a nurse practitioner; she was not clear about what her diagnosis was, nor was the APRN I saw after that. Next, I saw a psychiatrist who was also unclear about her diagnosis, but she suggested Bipolar Disorder. And after that I began seeing a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with Paranoid Schizophrenia. I have been going to him since November of 2015.

With all being said, it would make sense to just accept a diagnosis of Psychosis; seeing how Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder are both psychotic disorders.
I always have been told seek a 2nd and 3rd opinion but then if they are all the same dude just accept it and try everything possible to make life easier i have never had schizophrenia and bi polar so i have 0 idea what you are going through i imagine it is completely different to depression/suicide ideation you just gotta try your hardest my man :hug:

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Professionals aren't always right.I was told for many years that I had GAD.It wasn't until I went to see a psychologist that I was diagnosed with PTSD within the first couple/few visits.It was clearly obvious to him whereas all the other counselors doctors and therapists overlooked it.

I think it depends on who a person goes to see really.Many people I know go to their GP for MH issues,tell a few symptoms and leave with a prescription.I have done that in the past but don't feel they're qualified to treat mental issues like they are physical ones.A psychiatrist(here where I live) sees a person for about 15 minutes and they leave with a diagnosis and prescriptions.Thats why I like psychologists,they can't prescribe medications and feel they can diagnose and help a person by getting to know them and learning what makes them tick and what their issues really are.If they feel medication will help they refer them to a psychiatrist for meds while continuing treatment with them.

My point? If you feel you have been misdiagnosed it might be a good idea to see someone like a psychologist. It might take awhile to get a diagnosis but then you will know for sure.

fazza

fazza

Right now I struggle to agree with with my diagnosis.

S

savavdpeas

My point? If you feel you have been misdiagnosed it might be a good idea to see someone like a psychologist. It might take awhile to get a diagnosis but then you will know for sure.
I saw a psychologist years ago. He said that I have Schizophrenia. Sorry, I forgot to include him in my "timeline".

fazza

fazza

Dont say that bs medication is not always the answer the side effects almost always outweight what it does for you

Medication is important when it comes to treating schizophrenia and its not BS Yes the side affects can be bad but they are mostly managable.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

Medication is important when it comes to treating schizophrenia and its not BS Yes the side affects can be bad but they are mostly managable.
I would not know about schizophrenia i am coming from a depression / anxiety background

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

Sometimes medication is the right answer, i think it depends on how the person responds to the medications.

if i'm wrong i accept this :hug:
if medication can be avoided it should if not then i understand