something happened today that i'm obsessing over

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

happened at work :panic:

i was doing my job in one of the rooms and i came across a bank card so i handed it in to someone i know by sight i am useless with names cause the room it was in is only ever used by one job title so it was one of them i handed it in to and he returned it to its owner but i'm now fretting i could get in trouble and go to jail for handing it in :panic:

could that happen? :cry::panic::cry::panic:

Flameheart

Flameheart

ACCOUNT CLOSED
people who commit actual crimes hardly go to jail nowadays so I'm pretty sure you'll be alright

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Relax Midnight, you did a good thing by returning it. I’m sure you’ll be fine. In fact if it was my card, I’d give you a small reward for being honest. :grouphug:

supergreysmoke

supergreysmoke

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There's a lot of innocent people in jail. Ask them. Naivety is not a defence. Especially with everyone trying to cover themselves. It isn't that people are bad, they are acting out of human nature. Should really leave anything like plastic cards you find alone. As soon as you've picked it up you have in effect stolen it and the physical theft of the card is a crime that carries criminal penalties.

L

Laudanum

No chance of any criminal sanctions by handing a card you found in to the appropriate authority. The only chance would be if you'd kept it and used it - even then, as Flameheart says, you'd probably get nothing.

supergreysmoke

supergreysmoke

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Still wouldn't risk it. So many ways a straightforward thing can go worng with the vagaries of human nature factored in.

supergreysmoke

supergreysmoke

ACCOUNT CLOSED
...you don't need to have spent a cache of money to be found guilty of stealing it. A credit card is no different from a legal perspective. You don't need to have used it to be found guilty of stealing it. A misunderstanding that is easy to make for the naive....or crooked.

P

Pink1234

With respect, can I suggest that you consider the legal definition of theft as I think you risk causing unnecessary worry about this.

The definition is:-
Theft Act 1968. Definition of Theft. Theft is defined under section 1(1) of the Theft Act 1968 which provides that " a person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of dishonestly depriving the other if it.

Picking up lost property and handing it in is a noble act, not an act of dishonesty, or theft.

supergreysmoke

supergreysmoke

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Weak point is whether the person you hand something to is honest. I've been burnt trusting people before. If I'm honest it is by leaving situations be, in a ideal world the law would only criminalise the villains, but in this one it is a blind executionar.

P

Pink1234

I understand that you have your own anxieties about the situation, however, these anxieties don't relate well to the details in the original post. Also, in post #5 you stated something that is just plain wrong(" As soon as you've picked it up you have in effect stolen it) and may unnecessarily heighten another's anxiety in a situation that should not worry them.

I have handed found items in to police and shop workers many times and have always been thanked and praised for my honesty, rather than accused of theft.

There is much evil in the world but I try not to let it blindside me to the greater amount of good that exists.

supergreysmoke

supergreysmoke

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I would have anxiety in the same situation. A clear message from my moral immune system to inspect a action and learn from it. That's how I'd imagine it. Anyway.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

There's a lot of innocent people in jail. Ask them. Naivety is not a defence. Especially with everyone trying to cover themselves. It isn't that people are bad, they are acting out of human nature. Should really leave anything like plastic cards you find alone. As soon as you've picked it up you have in effect stolen it and the physical theft of the card is a crime that carries criminal penalties.
I swept it out from under a chair while doing my job, it was under the chair and i didnt know it was there until i swept it out from under that chair, is that still stealing it even though as soon as i saw it i handed it in :panic:

was i supposed to leave it on the floor and work round it :panic:

P

Pink1234

No, it isn’t stealing. You did the right thing.

Don’t let anything or anybody make you doubt that.

P

Pink1234

I would have anxiety in the same situation. A clear message from my moral immune system to inspect a action and learn from it. That's how I'd imagine it. Anyway.
I’m not getting at you. I understand your anxiety about the situation.

I agree 100% that we should examine our actions and learn from them. That’s in keeping with the old adage that those who do not know their history are doomed to repeat it.

J

Jules5

Midnight you are a true sweetheart I wish you were close by so we could visit. Your intentions are admirable. How kind do not let anything disturb you for you are a true person of great worth to me and on this forum. Love and hugs

Z

Zoe1

I would hand it in as well .
if I were stealing it I would not have handed it in !
you could also say that someone who doesnt hand it in
is in the wrong
because if they are later questioned about it
they would have to lie !

you will not get in trouble for this

x x x