• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Something big is coming...

U

uniongard

I'm far too calm and there haven't been many major incidents happening to me. This can only mean one thing. That something really big and bad is going to happen. This one is going to be a doozy. I wonder what it'll be. It can't be death because I want that. It has to be something where I'm trapped or in trouble. Perhaps a debt of some kind. I wish I didn't have to always real with bad things happening to me.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

I'm far too calm and there haven't been many major incidents happening to me. This can only mean one thing. That something really big and bad is going to happen. This one is going to be a doozy. I wonder what it'll be. It can't be death because I want that. It has to be something where I'm trapped or in trouble. Perhaps a debt of some kind. I wish I didn't have to always real with bad things happening to me.
[/QUOT

thats the flaw of pessimism. is pessimism tries to safeguard against bad things happening but pessimism itself is a bad thing happening lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Zoe1

I used to get that uniongard
a good time would be always followed by a bad time

now I don't see it like that
there are good times and bad times
but they are not related to each other any more

this is due to a lot of counselling I think

sounds like its some kind of punishment ?

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

You're catastrophizing, thinking the worst is going to happen. I know you have anxiety--I have GAD--but you have no basis in fact for believing "that something really big and bad is going to happen." Don't worry about things that may or may not happen. I know that's easier said than done.

U

uniongard

thats the flaw of pessimism. is pessimism tries to safeguard against bad things happening but pessimism itself is a bad thing happening lol
Is it pessimism when there's a clear pattern?

I used to get that uniongard
a good time would be always followed by a bad time

now I don't see it like that
there are good times and bad times
but they are not related to each other any more

this is due to a lot of counselling I think

sounds like its some kind of punishment ?
For me it's all too real. If I become too relaxed, that's when the worst happens. I can't ever seem to really rest. To rest is to invite trouble.

You're catastrophizing, thinking the worst is going to happen. I know you have anxiety--I have GAD--but you have no basis in fact for believing "that something really big and bad is going to happen." Don't worry about things that may or may not happen. I know that's easier said than done.
No basis? Perhaps. But the pattern is undeniable to me. It's like clockwork. I'll be going about my day and then I'll get the phone call, or the doorbell, or the mail, with bad news. Oh, and let's not forget injuries. They're rarer than bad news, but always a possibility. A cut, a burn, a dislocation. ~sigh~

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

Is it pessimism when there's a clear pattern?
point is you better quit wasting your mind worrying. because stress wrecks the body. your going to end up with medical problems. put your mind to use instead. give it something to do

E

EclipticNight

Don't confuse silence with nefarious subtilty. Sometimes nothing happens, then things happen followed by more nothing. Its the natural flow of life. If you have a pattern of poor luck like i do then use the calm to prepare for the next storm. Build counters, make moves craft plans. If your worried about debt then try to think of ways to counter that. What and where can you save? Make a small stash of cash, that kind of thing. You shape your future, not a mystical supernatural force.

Z

Zoe1

For me it's all too real. If I become too relaxed, that's when the worst happens. I can't ever seem to really rest. To rest is to invite trouble
I used to get that but now I don't

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I think you are employing the cognitive distortion of "filtering." A person engaging in filtering takes the negative details and magnifies those details while filtering out all positive aspects of a situation.

I do the same thing. I'll read in the news that so-and-so died at the young age of (take your pick). I'm bombarded by this type of message day in and day out. I think I don't have much time left on this earth (I'm 61). But you never read in the news about the ordinary person who just celebrated their 80th or 90th birthday. I think that I'm going to die young because of this. But that's filtering at work.