• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

someone with a logical brain pls help me out!

S

ScardeyCat

one of the strategies recommended to overcome OCD is to "accept" your thoughts. I'm really confused, maybe I have already passed this stage in my recovery. I am fine with the bad thoughts that come up in my mind (automatic thoughts), and I have appropriately labeled them as obsessions now. However, I have been reading articles about accepting the thoughts, and one of the methods is to "think the thoughts". This is CONFUSING to me because normal people don't intentionally think bad thoughts, correct? Well if they can help it... I know I should be resisting acting on my intrusive thoughts, of course, but I should make efforts not to meditate on bad thoughts as well? I feel like i'm going crazy. It has been a long road to recovery for me, and I was doing so well...but maybe i am putting to much stock in trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist, such as obsessively looking at psychology self-help articles and applying methods of treatment that may not work for me.

my question is, should I resist thinking about bad things now that I have accepted the existence of bad "automatic" thoughts that may pop into my mind? thanks.

D

Deliah

Hey there, you're doing amazingly, I have had a lot of obsessive thinking and it nearly pushed me over the edge, so I know how hard it can be. Don't resist, avoid or try not to have thoughts, just accept them as they come up. Don't be fearful of thinking. I personally wouldn't even call them bad thoughts, just thoughts if you can. I would even smile, as they come up maybe. I have been practicing mindfulness. Before I did this I was suffering a lot. It is mindfulness practice which has changed my life. I recommend finding therapist who teaches it if you can. love D xx

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
one of the strategies recommended to overcome OCD is to "accept" your thoughts. I'm really confused, maybe I have already passed this stage in my recovery. I am fine with the bad thoughts that come up in my mind (automatic thoughts), and I have appropriately labeled them as obsessions now. However, I have been reading articles about accepting the thoughts, and one of the methods is to "think the thoughts". This is CONFUSING to me because normal people don't intentionally think bad thoughts, correct? Well if they can help it... I know I should be resisting acting on my intrusive thoughts, of course, but I should make efforts not to meditate on bad thoughts as well? I feel like i'm going crazy. It has been a long road to recovery for me, and I was doing so well...but maybe i am putting to much stock in trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist, such as obsessively looking at psychology self-help articles and applying methods of treatment that may not work for me.

my question is, should I resist thinking about bad things now that I have accepted the existence of bad "automatic" thoughts that may pop into my mind? thanks.
Hi ScardeyCat,

for me, the motto 'what you resist persists' holds weight.
this includes 'positives' as well as 'negatives'.

"Resisting" might not be the appropriate word to use; perhaps modifying the thoughts patterns might be more beneficial.

I personally don't feel there is a set 'normal' state.
"Bad" thoughts can be experienced by positive people etc.

Re. "long road to recovery": You are doing so well.

Autumnal

S

ScardeyCat

but my thoughts are seemingly intertwined with my actions it seems. I just don't understand this logic. Let me give you an example of the types of thoughts/urges I am experiencing here. Say a person is in a commited relationship with someone. Say a beautiful woman passes by and he has the notices that she is attractive. Should he not make efforts to resist thinking about her in this circumstance? At the same time he may get thoughts about her that are automatic, such as the lady is attractive, but not resisting thoughts on any level, or basically choosing to dwell on the thoughts does not sound productive.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
but my thoughts are seemingly intertwined with my actions it seems. I just don't understand this logic. Let me give you an example of the types of thoughts/urges I am experiencing here. Say a person is in a commited relationship with someone. Say a beautiful woman passes by and he has the notices that she is attractive. Should he not make efforts to resist thinking about her in this circumstance? At the same time he may get thoughts about her that are automatic, such as the lady is attractive, but not resisting thoughts on any level, or basically choosing to dwell on the thoughts does not sound productive.
Yes, thoughts and actions can be intertwined.

For me, it depends what emotive context the "resisting" sits in.
If this person, who is commited in the relationship, is content with that relationship, then thoughts are just thoughts.
If dwelling on those thoughts causes discontent, then meditation would be a way of connecting with a greater peace of mind for the individual.

S

ScardeyCat

i think i'm starting to get the hang of it. we should resist, but there are better ways to deal with the thoughts maybe? like you suggested modifying the thoughts sounds interesting. when i resist the thoughts, like for example i just had a thought of breaking an object, and i resisted it strongly, and my brain kind of felt a tension in it that was uncomfortable. after that I relaxed my brain and forgot about it and redirected my focus to the computer and felt an instant relief of tension. so maybe the way i'm dealing with the thoughts needs to change. brute force and resistance is not very comfortable.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
In my opinion and experience, my mind likes to control. At the moment, I am learning to surrender, which for me means not giving up but taking action in circumstances where there's resistance and directing my attention elsewhere when feelings become difficult to deal with. For me, it is easier said than done!

S

ScardeyCat

my mind sounds like it works very similarly to yours. When I start thinking bad things, I can literally feel my brain grabbing the thought pattern by force and casting it out of my head. I think mediation and redirecting my attention elsewhere will help me deal with this in a more healthy manner...and of course relaxation techniques for the tension.

S

ScardeyCat

i'm feeling a lot better now, and once again feel like i have all my thoughts in order. I just feel so defeated, and I've been cycling a lot lately. i don't know when my next "episode" will begin. it could be tomorrow or two weeks from now.

FriendsAreFriends

FriendsAreFriends

Off cause you should resist bad thoughts. This problem area touches the cognitive therapy area. to take control of ones own thoughts, and via good thoughts to influence the emotions. Good thoughts result in good emotions and visa versa. This takes mind-training.

The schoolbook example of cognitive therapy goes like this: Tre men woke up one morning and went off to work. Each man then stepped in a dog poo, as they hasted off to work. The first man got very upset and angry..."my whole day is ruined" he said to himself. So he went back to his bed. ... The second man was also anoyed, but told himself "well,well...I got to get to work" so he wiped off his shoes in the snow...and set of to work. The third man could not help but smiling, "ok...accidents happen...But...why dont I get a dog, that would be fun!" he said to himself. This is cognitive therapy. Also this therapy is about accepting things you just can not do anything about, so it would be a waste thinking about them.

It is a well known fact that emotions are a result of your thinking. So enjoying changing ones mind to more positive - has a direct effect on your emotions. No human master this to perfection. But we need not to. It is sufficiant to be a boss in our own lifes and activly stear our thoghts in a positive direction.

Take a cognitive turn: e.g."I got OCD, and it helps me keeping it tidy in my appartment. Great!"

The best of your life lies ahead of you!:)

S.y. Kenneth.

S

ScardeyCat

This is interesting. You are the first person in the thread saying that I SHOULD resist negative thoughts.

lately i have had some bizarre ticks in public, such as facial grimmaces and body twitches. I have tried passively observing them, and when I get them sort of "clearing my mind" to get stop doing them, but maybe i should be resisting them each time they come up. my mind literally feels like it has explosions each time i get a negative thought and try to control it. My OCD is very active. but i've noticed i keep resisting them and then my brain goes through periods of calm when it just gets tired of doing this, lol. I think i'm going to continue resisting thoughts until I see my therapist again next week, discuss this with her and get her approval. the tics come up less when I resist them, and if it isn't broken don't fix it i guess. I don't want to be confronted by police for odd behavior and institutionalized.

Last edited:
S

ScardeyCat

the above post was in response to the last poster on the first page btw.

S

ScardeyCat

hey guys, update. Well, once again i got tired last night due to all the control. I think the control is an obsession in itself. I'll see my therapist in one week, and I will tell them everything! i'm once again just relaxing, of course I resist the thoughts, but I guess in a less intense way. I just exhausted myself to where i could barely function today. trying to just relax and take my mind elsewhere...Thanks for all the help, sincerely.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Great that you'll see your therapist. It definately helps me to be able to open up with somebody.

All the best for you.

With love,
Autumnal

D

Deliah

Don't resist anything of you, your mind, your grimices, body twitches. What we resists persists. Mindfulness will help you. It's not thinking. D x