Someone please help

S

Shaunna

Someone help..anxiety rash taking over

I have been struggling with anxiety for a good portion of my life. It all started with an unusual fear of being kidnapped, as it almost happened a few different times. Anyway, I have had many different symptoms as i grew up, including panic attacks, hyperentilating, loss of breath, trembling, shakiness, nervousness, and this horrible hives like rash ive been suffering with for quite some time now that has got progressively worse over time..and seems to be taking a huge chunk of life out of me.. Its ruining me. Its caused by anxiety but also after it appears it make my anxiety 20 times worse knowing.it there and visible. It didnt really just appear one day. I remember when I was young, I was very sensitive to heat, and if the sun was hitting me in the vehicle I HAD to take my coat off or I'd get too hot and get a temporary red rash, for this reason I refused to wear long sleeved shirts. (I'm still sensitive to the heat) As I got older, I noticed it slightly but mostly only under certain circumstances....being on a stage, talking in front of a class, etc. Which I understand is normal to happen.. Once I hit age 17 it started happening more and more, for no apparent reason, talking to my friends or a teacher or a boss, and my chest woud turn red and splotchy. Its gotten to the point now that its ruining my life... It happens at LEAST once a day now. I can be talking and mess up my sentence just a little and feel very embarrassed and my chest and upper arms turn BRIGHT, TOMATO RED. People ask me if I'm okay and I explain to them as much as I've read about it, which is I've heard its adrenaline, but I know its anxiety and something very wrong with my "fight or flight" mode in my body. I finally gained enough confidence to pursue my dream of going to cosmetology school in the fall and I'm still going strong as I can. However, this rash is so bad I constantly think about just quitting because its going to be like this my whole life and it ruins me and my confidence... About 90% of the clients I get, I get the rash, its extremely vivid and noticeable on my fair skin. I dont have control over it by any means..i go in being as calm as possible with deep breaths, and i turn red in a matter of seconds and grt panicky that I will do something wrong..Ive had them ask whats wrong with my neck. When it happens, I feel trapped(as much as I'd love to just run away, i dont), I cant stand to look at myself in the mirror when I feel the heat on my chest.. I know its there.. It makes me extremely nervous and lack confidence and slightly lose focus from thinking about it too much and stressing myself.out.over any situation.. Ive never had a client not love what I do to their hair yet, I just want to feel confident so I can continue doing what I love to do HAPPILY.... I have noticed if I drink caffiene that day it makes it even worse so I stay away, but even if I do not, its still very bad... Ive read online about trying antihistamine allergy pills which I tried but it didnt do anything. Ive also read about being prescribed beta blockers for this problem which is actually used to regulate the heart, but Ive heard it works and Id love to look into them and ask my doctor about them, but I currently have no insurance and cant afford it.. What Im wondering is if I did get beta blockers, is it something you can use/take every day? Does anyone have this horrible rash issue taking over their life? And does anyone have any suggestions I could try before going to the doctor? I know its nothing serious or life threatening it just ruins my life and takes control of me.. Please help!

Lastly
Id like to add: I know its probably all in my head but what can I do to distract myself from thinking about the rash appearing? I overthink and the rash appears, simple as that. If I wear a t-shirt where you can't see my chest get blotchy I know it will be hidden and as mentioned before, I can feel when I get the rash, but if I know they cant see it, it seems to be less severe..
Its very hot and humid here in the summer so id like to stay away from scarves and heavy tshirts, but somedays I just have to.... It sucks that it also affects my wardrobe and what I tend to buy.. It literally is taking over me. Any advice would be great.

Last edited:
Unique1

Unique1

Hi Shauna.

Welcome to the forum.
My advice would be to see your Dr, although I understand you have no insurance and so that could be difficult.
Could you try the pharmacy and see if they could recommend anything for you??
I'm sure a Dr could get you the help you need if you could manage to see one.

I've experienced a similar thing, not on the same scale though, I suffer with high blood pressure and take medication for that and palpitations which kinda has a beta blocker in and I take that each day.
But medication advice needs to come from a medical professional, as everyone is different in their needs.
I really hope you can sort it out.
I wish you well x

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Shauna

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I do sympathise with you. I used to suffer from something similar, but not to the same extent, when I was younger. I am also very sensitive to the heat.

I agree there may be medical help. Even counselling or therapy would help with the anxiety. I don't know what else would help in the meantime.

One clue is when you said even though you could feel the rash was there, if people couldn't see it, it didn't bother you so much. If you stop caring so much about it, it will gradually happen less, and when it does happen you won't feel so upset. At the moment, the anxiety feeds the rash and the rash makes you more anxious.

Most people won't pay much attention, it just feels like it because you are conscious of it. If a client does comment, decide what to say, like "oh I tend to blush a lot" or "the heat makes me flush sometimes" or "my skin is sensitive to the heat", anything you feel comfortable saying.

I hope you can find some help with this.

Best wishes, Sarah

J

janice6331

yep i agree with Sarah. I have known this happen to people and it is a vicious cycle. Once you start panicing that is it.... the rash appears. If you get embarrassed, anxious or worried, don't feel confident etc your body produces a rash.
It's hard work, but the best thing you can do is have a chat with yourself in your own head and stop worrying about other people. Stop being so hard on yourself. Be kind to yourself. There are enough people out there to put you down because of their own insecurities without you adding to it. You are doing a great job.

S

Shaunna

Thank you everyone for the replies, unfortunately not caring about it is easier said than done. Im sure one day ill finally start not caring but until then the best solution I have is covering it. Thanks for all the kind words.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Just an idea - have you thought of hypnotherapy? It might not cure all the anxiety, but it could help with this reaction.

S

Shaunna

I have more recently thought about this, just not sure if it would work, maybe though.

E

Edenfalls

It sounds like this is happening to you mostly in social situations where you've done something that you think others will judge you for. To me, it sounds like you suffer from social anxiety.

The redness is blushing and it's a very human thing to do. I also get the neck thing, I don't like it because I know then the anxiety that I try so hard to hide is on show. Maybe try to combat the reason for the redness rather than the redness itself, don't worry if you slip up on a sentence and try not to judge yourself so harshly. When in social situations, concetrate more on the other person rather than thinking about how you're coming across, that way you might notice any tiny slip ups a lot less.