Foxjo

Foxjo

Forum Safety Team
Hi
what are you anxious about?
anything specific?

winterstreet

winterstreet

I used to have the same problem with anxiety keeping me up all night. Have you been able to see a dr about it? They might be able to give you something for the anxiety that'll also help you sleep (mirtazapine worked really well for me).

aleshadxcherylc

aleshadxcherylc

Hi Mattyj
Welcome to the foroum well done for posting
I suffer with anxiety to name but a few, so i understand how you feel, are you on any talking treatment to help with your anixety?
Take care keep strong and keep talking
Katie
xx

mattyj75

mattyj75

I just panic about not bein able to sleep, which prevents me from falling asleep. It's really taking its toll on me lately

lupinerainbow

lupinerainbow

Have you tried having a nice warm bath and a hot drink and listening to calming music (or just music you like) and just trying to totally relax yourself. You need to tell yourself you are going to sleep and try not to worry about it.. but as an insomniac with anxiety i know how hard this can be, the only thing that gets me to sleep is alot of different sedatives. Thinking a trip to the doctor is needed.

Lupine.

J

jimindigo

Paradox Solution?

Hi Matty,
Sounds strange I know,but the thing to do is,STAY UP! Don't go in
to the bedroom until you feel TIRED!And if you go in and still can't sleep,get
up again--do not go into bedroom till you feel sleepy.
Best Wishes,
jimindigo

greenfairy

greenfairy

Hi,:welcome:I know the feeling,I have insomnia and anxiety/depression as well as Willis-Ekbom syndrome,and I can't use medication for the insomnia because of other health problems.If it's any help,I've found that both a lumie light(that re-creates sunset and sunrise)and herbal remedies can be of some use.Even if I don't sleep straight away,it takes the edge off slightly,and I don't feel as anxious.Various relaxation techniques can also help,like tai-chi.
You should certainly see you doctor though-they used to give my son(also a serial insomniac)melatonin when his sleep patterns were bad,and sent him to a sleep clinic.Would something like that be an option for you?

greenfairy

greenfairy

If you wanted to go down the sleep clinic route,you have to be refered by a doctor,and they try various ways to regulate your sleep patterns.It takes time to kick in,but even if it's only for a couple of hours a night,its a welcome change,believe me!Sometimes they use CBT aswell,which might help.
I found that a lumie light helped me loads-they are brilliant.I still get really bad bouts(last time I didn't sleep more than about 6 hours total in more than a week),but if I relax as much as I can(a tall order with GAD,I know!),then it usually rights itself after a while.:)

mattyj75

mattyj75

My problem is, is i panic about not bein able to sleep. I've gotten 7 hours the last 2 nights combined. I know there are some that would love that amount lol

H

Han2403

I am in the same position at the moment and it's getting to me too as it's dragging on longer than usual. I am trying melatonin at the moment, it's good for regulating sleep patterns. It has helped me on past occasions though admittedly isn't doing much good this time for some reason but maybe it would work for you or at least worth a try?

greenfairy

greenfairy

I have the same problem,drives you nuts doesn't it?It ends up a vicious circle.I've had a couple of good nights and a couple of bad over the past few days-I get anxiety attacks when it gets really bad,which are horrible.Fingers crossed it hasn't been as bad as that for about a month now.That's why I try the relaxation approach-it seems to work for me,and because I have Willis-Ekbom,which gets worse if I get anxious,then the less stress the better!
I don't know if you have this as well,but I find that total silence can wake me up-sounds weird,but true!I use a little box that plays recordings of the rain,or cicadas,or something calming like that-might be an idea?Anything that reduces your anxiety at night is good.:)

mattyj75

mattyj75

I've had to sleep with a fan on since i was little. Melatonin hasn't worked for me in the past. I just need to find something to take my mind off of it. It's a very lonely feeling :(

greenfairy

greenfairy

It is,yeah.Has your doctor ever given you stronger meds than melatonin?You said that you don't have the insurance at the moment,so I'm guessing that isn't an option right now?I have never used any medication for sleep,so I'm not sure how good they are-as you said-you need to clear your mind.Easier said than done,I know.What do you do to chill before bed,Do you have a routine,of sorts?Sometimes that can help-its one of the things they sort through in a sleep clinic.

mattyj75

mattyj75

Get insurance next month so im on my own till then. Usually i just lay down and watch tv for an hour

greenfairy

greenfairy

That can sometimes work-depends on what you're watching,lol.Sometimes I get really into what I'm watching and then I'm awake-I don't want to miss any of it.It's a particular bad habit of mine!
An evening routine can be quite good-your brain naturally adapts to a sort of downtime,so even if you aren't able to sleep,you're relaxed,which makes things a bit easier.Restricting the amount of caffeine you drink is an obvious one,but certainly helpful-although I usually needed it when I was working-my job was so dull I would likely fall asleep at my desk from sheer boredom otherwise,lol.At least you are getting your insurance in a short while,so your doc might be able to help you with something a little stronger than melatonin.:)

greenfairy

greenfairy

Depends on what a good nights sleep normally is for you-some people can't function without getting 8-10 hours a night,some are ok on 4-5hrs.When I get really bad I can go 2 days with no sleep at all-normal for me is 4-6hrs on a good night,2-3 on a bad one.What's your normal sleep time on a good night?
Do you feel tired and drowsy the next morning?