• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Some tricks to deal with the exhaustion

T

telemetry9

It's really hard when you have commitments such as work or looking after the kids...etc....Even just coping without those commitments or living on your own (as I do). Feeling that deep down exhaustion so overwhelming that you can hardly take another step and all those chores we must do during the day have to be forced. Like wading through treacle.

Over the years I've learned a few thing that help me. Breaking tasks down into small ones (as i've mentioned before) and coming back to the same task again. Hanging my t-shirts and shirts on hangers after they have come out of the wash and are still damp helps enormously when it comes to ironing them.

I put my breakfast out the night before and cover the cereal with a plate - so I know in the morning I have less to do as the mornings are hardest for me.

Get rid of the hoover and get yourself a cordless dustbuster and electric cordless sweeper. Much less effort than the spectre of the hoover. Of course I'm assuming you live alone. I live alone and so I don't have anyone to help me do those jobs so I've had to find new ways to get them done whilst living with exhaustion.

Taking my dog for her walk seems impossible sometimes to the point that I almost resent her but then I remember she gets me out of the house for a bit. There are times when I can cry at the thought of having to do things when I don't have any energy left. Unless you've experienced it - it's hard to convey how frustrating and confidence eroding it can be.

I really find that doing things last thing at night when my energy is at its "peak" makes them seem less daunting somehow.

I find if I have to clean the fridge etc....I no longer have a big debacle over it - I simply do one shelf at a time with some diluted bleach spray and kitchen roll. Much easier than taking the whole thing apart and pulling everything out and really just as effective. You can apply this methodology to a whole host of other tasks.

These things might seem trivial to some people but to me they are extremely important. Doing them is the difference between being independent or going completely under and having to ask for help from someone. So; anything we can learn from one another is vital. Personally speaking; it would make me feel much more depressed to live in a dirty or untidy house and I find that the small sense of accomplishment I get in doing them; helps.

Of course we all get good days amidst the darker ones and at those times I wish I could press a button to keep it that way.

Don't blame yourself and if you have endogenous depression that is a chemical imbalance then taking the rocky road of endeavoring to try another medication might improve your energy levels. Although it's a real journey that one with no guarantee at the end of it. For me - lustral really gave me a lot of my life back a few years ago...until it began to stop working after 3 years.

all the best
robert.

T

telemetry9

well - it's not much but it helps me somewhat.

thank you and I hope you and your husband are making strides.

regards
robert.