• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

some thoughts on labeling

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i still remember 30 yrs ago asking the gp to put me on the sick, the gp said it’s a label and labels tend to stick, i thought you’ve diagnosed me schitzoprenic isn’t that going to stick, i later found out the gp had written to the psychiatrist saying he thought i was getting better

anyway i’ve been using services at the homeless place, mental health connected, the benefit clarks expect people to use services, i spoke to this volunteer befriender, himself on benefits, found him patronising

remember the mentally ill ex cons wouldn’t use services or take meds, they were accepted in the pubs in a way i never was, and were sucesssful with the women, they might have got drubk and the guy complaining about housing mentally people to the local paper may have been complaining about them, but they were more accepted than i feel

then sadly i think about my first girlfriend and how it coincided with that psychiatrist questioning the schitzoprenia diagnosis

i’m just thinking with a million on universal credit to hide among and increases to universal credit. maybe i might be able to unstick the label a bit

it’s not only a label i am vulnerable to some extent and i am on drugs that make me tired i am aware of that, but there is a label side causing stigma and rejection

Z

Zoe1

I know what you mean about the stigma
I have been getting beyond it a bit recently
making friends with all kinds of people

it will probably rear its head again
when there is a benefits review
because of having to prove your illness
and focus on what is wrong

Ive learned not to be open about my diagnosis
as it would just alarm people

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
but as someone said stigmatising people is the excuse mental health services use to close cases were regardless people because of the meds etc aren't fit for work and need some form of suppport

i'm just thinking it was my birthday recently getting old, now at an age were you reflect what you've achieved in life, i've just been a hungry mouth, useless eater and there is an argument that i might have been better off gassed to save all that unnecessary suffering

maybe depressed i'd like to go and sit in the front garden in the sun, the front garden is the only one i have acesss to, but these builders drilling across the road, the house may have been sold to a developer anyway they've practically demolished it and are rebuilding it

i've heard rumours they're phoning up and reasssessing people with only a weeks notice, it may be rumour but it comes from the homeless place so is maybe reputable

Z

Zoe1

i'm just thinking it was my birthday recently getting old, now at an age were you reflect what you've achieved in life, i've just been a hungry mouth, useless eater and there is an argument that i might have been better off gassed to save all that unnecessary suffering

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Rambo !

no thinking about yourself like that is the problem . you can work on those thoughts like that
its good you wrote them down

try to be creative with it, people pick up on your thoughts about yourself

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
yes people pick up on your thoughts about yourself if you don't have thoughts like the above you'll be turned away from services and the benefit system they act as gatekeeper for, you think you've got pronlems well wait until your benefits are cut

T

Thelma27

I am happy to not be living with this illness with no type of help as I have done pretty much my whole life but having a diagnosis is making it difficult to be myself I can recall two years ago my father bought me a ticket to travel abroad to see my family it was the worse experience of my entire life when I arrived there I was told that the message they received was that I had gone insane which is partly true I suffer a psychotic episode I was later diagnose as having schizophrenia this was 10 years ag I was prepared to go to a place where I expected to be happy and possibly get some answers as to why I have been suffering with this illness in early childhood anyway I was shown to my room mind u I had not seen my family since I was thirteen and I was returning 20 something years later and as a schizophrenia my room had about two doors with locks on the inside and outside through out the night someone guarded the door I tried to so hard to look and feel normal everyone was a total stranger except my grandmother who made me feel a little at ease however before the end of my 10 days stay I started to detonate talking about irrelevant things I guess what I am trying to say is I am the same person who has had this illness pretty much my whole life but now with a diagnosis I feel my life has come to an end I can't have a relationship because I feel I have to declare that I am suffering with this illness if I show some form of happiness I am questioned about taking my medication so yes personally I feel there is a label attached to schizophrenia

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
having to keep fan heater on all night the noise drowns out the neighbours even then i'm getting people ringing my intercom in the middle of the night, i have heard of intercoms that automatically store a picture but getting one and installing it, my present intercom has 2 handsets and connects to the phone as well though i've got a timer switching off the receiver at night though you can hear the outdoor station

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
it's not just the label it's the drugs not making you fit enough to get out of the benefit trap though they are efffective enough to make claiming dwp benefits difficult

the way they say services are stigmatising people and use it to close cases were the dwp expects people in need to have people milling around same with independent living it's used as an excuse to close cases

and i have no love for social housing either it's for those with little chance of work and selects for problem neighbours

at my age 40yrs at least on drugs and i wonder if i've done the right thing, maybe at least i should have tried to come off them, something drs fear and tell you a load of bullshit to get you to take them. bullshit that wears pretty thin in old age

that last psychiatrist said you've had these isssues for a long time now, they're not going to go away suddenly, i constantly worry the dwp won't understand with talk about extra cost of disability for pip that mainly meeet physical disability, i regularly get the work capability assessment questionairre and struggle for the required references, when i have tryed to work employers are certain i'm unfit for work probably with good reason