• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Some people over come anxiety but some people do not

J

jessicamarie

I've suffered from anxiety for 10 years now.
I'm starting CBT next month.

I was wondering why some people overcome anxiety & some people do not?

S

*Sapphire*

Hi and :welcome: to the forum.

Personally I believe everyone can overcome anxiety, but I do not think that there is one overall solution that suits everybody.

Anxiety can be caused by so many different reasons, external issues, environment, history, physical issues, confidence, self esteem, paranoia, drugs, alcohol, work the list could go on and on.

I have tried mindfulness, tablets, relaxtion, breathing techniques and all sorts of others ways to reduce it and these days I have got a good grasp of it although occassionally it does flare up again. I have to try many different methods to deal with an attack, what might work one day might not work the next I think it will be a lifetime journey and commitment.

I hope you find CBT helpful!

J

Just-ME

i hope anxiety is curable, because i hope to be rid or my anxiety. Or at least for it to have less of a negative effect on my life, for me to be in more in control of it. good luck with the cbt! i hope to try cbt also:), i heard it is very useful in anxiety disorders, did you go privately or through your doctor. i heard there is a long wait to get it on the nhs.

K

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

I am paying for my CBT. Going to clean me out but the way I look at it your health is the most important thing.

It seems to being making a difference, but it leaves me very drained and withdrawn afterwards. Good luck.

R

RanFan2

I agree that everyone can overcome anxiety. But there are different factors for each person, so one treatment may not be effective for everyone. Personally I believe the most important part of CBT is finding a good therapist that you can trust. The one and only reason I continue to go to CBT is because I enjoy talking to my therapist. My mom, however, does not like hers and rarely goes. I think the best thing to do is not be afraid to change if you are uncomfortable with who you are talking to. After all, it's not easy sharing your life story with a stranger in the first place.

Good luck to you! :)