• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

some info about this medication

S

Strider

Hello all,

my first time here hope all are fine...
i was diagnosed lately and i get long term depression
Dr. put me on Camcolite 400 (Lithium Carbonate) twice a day.
so i far i think i am a bit feeling better but is any good becuase the price is real low

I wonder if anybody takes the same

thanks for any info

cheers

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
The price? I am guessing you are not in the UK strider?

But actually price isn't really relevant. This would just be a form of Lithium and I imagine there are a considerable number of people here who have been on Lithium either in the past or still are; I was on it for some years. I must admit I am a little surprised about its being prescribed as a main treatment for depression initially rather than a back-up or addition to some other anti-depressant which it always was in my case. In general (and I emphasise in general - you should ask a professional for specific advice) Lithium is used firstly as a so-called 'mood stabiliser' in treatment of BPD (Bi-Polar disorder) and secondly in cases of recurrent depression where other anti-depressants have not worked.
In practice (in the UK anyway) I think it is usually used where depression is concerned - as in my case - in conjunction with an anti-depressant.

The warning about Lithium is that the way in which it works is by having a certain level in the blood - if that level rises too high then there is a danger of lithium toxicity (symptoms include loss of appetite, diarrhoea, vomiting, blurred vision etc.) so you should see your doctor immediately if you do experience side-effects. Lithium can also potentially affect kidney function. Anyone on Lithium should be having their blood tested periodically but I am sure you have been told this.

As to the $100 question :) - well whether any drug works or not is entirely individual. If it is working for you great. I am sure that there will be people who could supply both positive and negative responses.

Nick.

D

Dollit

Lithium used as an antidepressant is more common than you would think. It can be extremely effective in dealing with depression,

I am more surprised that you're taking it twice a day. The usual way to take it is at night and it doesn't have a particularly long half life and so when you do have lithium levels taken you can get a false reading.

I don't take Camcolit anymore, I take a brand called Priadel. It varies from consultant to consultant and Camcolit is usually preferred because it is the cheapest. But its price doesn't affect it's efficiency.

Q

quality factor

Hi I was on Lithium (Priadel) for fourteen years.I had regular blood tests, but somehow I slipped through the net and now as a consequence I have chronic kidney disease...my kidneys only function at 40%.
On the positive side Lithium was effective for me psychiatrically, it only lost it's efficiacy in the last two years or so.
I had a second opinion regarding the lithium causing the kidney problem and both doctors confirmed that they felt it was the cause.
I think that my experience might reaffirm the necessity of having regular blood tests and not forgetting about them.
QF.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Really sorry to hear that QF - I'm afraid that you're not the only person I have heard of this happening to. As it is such a well-established (and dangerous side-effect) of Lithium I think Doctors/Psychiatrists need to be really responsible and careful about prescribing and monitoring it although I appreciate that it can be effective psychiatrically. I take semi-sodium valproate (depakote) which has its own bad side-effects (basically don't have kids!) but they aren't really similar to Lithium although I am still blood-tested every so often. Well there ain't no wonder cures :(.

Nick.

D

Dollit

It's standard procedure to monitor lithium weekly until therapeutic levels are maintained. Then at least 3 monthly levels should be tested. Yes doctors and psychiatrists should be testing for renal and thryoid function twice a year but it is also up to us as people responsible for our own health to make sure that these tests are done. And it is in the PILs.

S

Strider

thanks all for the useful info

yes i am on regular lithium tests and twice a year will be testing kidneys and so
and this what made me a bit worried 'cause i hear many people suffer from kidney after long time of lithium medication, is there may be an alternative medicine the doctor may prescribe ? i will have to visit again and get more info as he never mentioned side effects of lithium.

thanks

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
We can't really get into suggesting alternative prescriptions here Strider as we are definitely not professionals :) - all we can do is talk about our own experiences including side-effects we are aware of. But it is perfectly in order to ask your doctor about side-effects and mention your concerns.

Nick.