• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Some help

S

SandAndStars

Hello everyone,
I Am diagnosed with psychosis for a period of 6 or bit more years, but my last check up was different in terms of another doctor saying to switch medication and possible change of diagnosis. The d mentioned bipolar.
Aldough it is not certain or anything, could you please recommend some articles or sites for better understanding of this condition since I do not know anything about bipolar disorder or why some people as myself have a psychotic side to it.
Appreciate the help.
Thanks

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hello SandandStars. My diagnosis is Bipolar with Psychotic Features. My manias become delusional and psychotic. I believe that I experience psychosis between manic episodes too. As for articles after I was diagnosed I googled a bunch and read up quite a bit on it but don’t recall any at the moment to refer you to. Maybe just do a web search for “bipolar with psychotic features” and see what you find? If you care to chat with me please feel welcome to pm me. xo, j

HLon99

HLon99

Dear sandandstars,

Bipolar disorder is a type of mood disorder which is typically characterised by alternating periods of depression and hypomania or Mania. Depression is charecterised by low mood, low self esteem, lack of motivation, energy, oversleeping, overeating, excessive feeling of shame and guilt, loss of interest in activities and suicidal thinking. Mania is a state of elevated mood characterised by an increased drive and motivation, insomnia, irritability, excessive talkativeness, flights of ideas, and risky and dangerous behaviour (hypersexuality, spending sprees etc)

It is in some cases associated with psychosis, a loss of touch with reality, which consists of delusions, hallucinations or though disorder. This typically occurs in the manic phases of the illness and associated with Grandiose Delusions (a belief that you are some powerful or important being such, Godlike). But psychotic features can occur otherwise in the form of guilt delusions (a false belief of illness, guilt or poverty) during the depressive phases. Also it may consists of mood-incongruent delusions such as delusions of persecution (Paranoia) as well as hallucinations and thought disorder, although this is usually indicative of a more serious course of illness and potentially Schizoaffective disorder (a combination of schizophrenia and Bipolar disorder).

I have Bipolar disorder with some mood-incongruent psychotic features (Paranoia) although I do not meet the full criteria for Schizoaffective disorder as I have never completely lost touch with reality and my psychotic features only really show up in episodic moments when my illness get really bad.

Bipolar disorder is treated with various medications and therapies. Medications include Mood Stabilisers (Lithium Carbonate, Sodium Valproate, Carbamazepine and Lamotrigine), Antipsychotics (Aripiprazole, Olanzapine, Risperidal etc) and occasionally antidepressants (Fluoxetine etc). Some non-medication treatments include Psychotherapy (CBT, interpersonal therapy DBT etc) and in extreme, treatment resistant case ECT (Electroconvulsive Therapy).

If you suffer from Bipolar Disorder, do not despair. It is treatable and many people go on to do incredibly well. I myself have been stable for over 6 months now and am due to go back to University next semester. Likewise, I have heard of many other people who go onto having families and very successful careers. The key is to have a good treatment team, correct diagnosis and self-help by avoiding bad habits such as drugs and alcohol and getting plenty of exercise. We are a friendly and supportive community are here to answer any questions you may have. Wish you all the best and if you have any questions shoot.

Some useful links

S

SandAndStars

Thank you for this!
It sounds familiar, I lost touch with reality completely only once that is first major episode, but other than that mood changes as you said plus persecution and hallucinations but also mix of spiritual highs and lows (most of the time I Am aware I Am not ok). So thanks again, hope it works out well with medication and ct