• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Some help about autism please.

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

Hello, I have seen a psychiatrist recently, and she has confirmed my suspicions that I might be suffering from touches of autism. To be honest I never really completely knew what it was, people don't speak about it much..:confused:.
Is there a possibility I could get a slightly higher rate of benefit for being diagnosed with this, and is it worth telling the DWP, or not? I get a low rate of PIP. :confused:
An example of my behaviour is that when I see people I come to conclusions about what they are thinking of me just by there natural expressions, and I feel that people are behaving negatively to me when they might not be, including a negative feeling about my family. I'm very confused about how the opposite sex feels about me too, and of their attitude towards me. I'm also a person of habbit. Does that sound like autism or paranoia? :confused:

calypso

calypso

Admin
I'm afraid i know very little about autism. I think that you can't diagnose yourself but need to be professionaly seen. The reason I say that is that a professional can assess other conditions as well in your behaviour. I hope others will be along to help you more soon.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
the fact that you may or may not have autism won't in itself make any difference to your PIP
it isn't the condition you have ,it is your symptoms and how they affect you that counts-well that is what my CPN said and what i read online x
but if your care needs have changed it might be worth telling them

H

Helena1

i would tell them if you get the diagnosis, it wouldn't do any harm would it?

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

i would tell them if you get the diagnosis, it wouldn't do any harm would it?
Yes you are right it wouldn't do any harm. The doctor told me I seem have autistic traits, rather than full blown autism, meaning signs of autism which explains a lot to me.

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

the fact that you may or may not have autism won't in itself make any difference to your PIP
it isn't the condition you have ,it is your symptoms and how they affect you that counts-well that is what my CPN said and what i read online x
but if your care needs have changed it might be worth telling them
I don't know about that, because the fact is they don't know all my symptoms, but if I was to tell them I had some autism, they would already know about a lot more symptoms than I can ever tell them.

H

Helena1

I don't know about that, because the fact is they don't know all my symptoms, but if I was to tell them I had some autism, they would already know about a lot more symptoms than I can ever tell them.
i don't think it would as autism affects people in different ways to different extents, so you would have to say how it affected you to see if it helps you to meet the criteria they use to determine for you qualify for PIP. I just think it would add weight to what you say if you have an actual diagnosis, but I don't know if autistic traits is an actual diagnosis.

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

i don't think it would as autism affects people in different ways to different extents, so you would have to say how it affected you to see if it helps you to meet the criteria they use to determine for you qualify for PIP. I just think it would add weight to what you say if you have an actual diagnosis, but I don't know if autistic traits is an actual diagnosis.
I already qualify for a low amount of PIP, but if i knew more about autism, I could use that reasoning when creating a new argument for PIP, I'm a bit confused about autism actually, maybe that's another sign of it. There are various things I am doing which I thought was totally normal, which are now being seen as signs of autism.

H

Helena1

I already qualify for a low amount of PIP, but if i knew more about autism, I could use that reasoning when creating a new argument for PIP, I'm a bit confused about autism actually, maybe that's another sign of it. There are various things I am doing which I thought was totally normal, which are now being seen as signs of autism.
the national autism society website is a good starting point. I think autism is quite a confusing thing to read up on and understand.

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

the national autism society website is a good starting point. I think autism is quite a confusing thing to read up on and understand.
Thank you for that :) Actually I have been reading a bit online, I still feel confused about what autism is, and I think my symptoms seem more like the ones of Asperger's syndrome. I need a better diagnosis I think.
One of my symptoms is that I tend to feel locked away inside myself because I don't feel I can make friends or girlfriends with my peers, they have to be different, or older, or foreigners, or unwell, or something, for me to feel I can socially interact with them. I can't make friends with peers, or English women. I don't know why I have that feeling but it's definitely there. Can anyone relate to that? I can't change that belief, it's part of me. :sorry: