Some advice

K

katie87

Hello

I'm new here. A little nervous.

I have a friend who suffers with a mental health issue. The thing is, he isolates himself away. He stays in all the time and doesn't have any friends. He has family support. I am a friend who offers my support but he declines everyone's help. He likes to be alone and when I get in contact with him via phone or knocking on his door he just thinks I am being rued and doesn't want help.

I know he feels isolated as he has told me about feeling this way. This a sad thing for me to watch as I am trying to help him but he likes to be alone.

Any help?

BORTU

BORTU

Hello Katie.

First let me welcome you to this forum.

As your friend is rejecting your support perhaps you are offering it too obviously? He sounds as if he needs help, but as he has told you he feels isolated he does speak to you.

I can only offer general advice, but if you want a more professional point of view you could talk to:

Name: RETHINK
Telno: Head Office 0845 456 0455
www: http://www.rethink.org/
Hours: open 10am to 2pm Monday – Friday.
e-mail: e-mail: [email protected]
Give advice on caring for someone.

or have a look at:

MENTAL HEALTH CARE
http://www.mentalhealthcare.org.uk/home

This website contains information for family members and friends of people who have psychosis.

bulbie

bulbie

Gosh that sounds so familiar to the situation I'm in right now. But there are only two things you can do. If he lets you talk to him at all, keep telling him you love him (in whatever context) and you Do understand, try to help where you can but don't push too hard. Tell him, if he lets you, that getting out, even if only across the road, is something he needs to do to get better. And then wait for him to take the help. I'm sure he will eventually. This is the thing with this kind of illness. THEY'VE got to really want to get better before any source of help and support will work.

Your other option is to walk away. Say you've tried and he doesn't want your help then walk, and never look back. End of the day, it boils down to him wanting to get better before anyone or anything else can make a difference.

I wish you all the luck in the world, whatever you choose to do. x

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W People 5
T People 4
T People 3
S People 1
R People 4