Somatic OCD

Z

zxc91

Is anyone else consciencly aware of saliva in their mouth that you have to swallow about every three minutes? You are not supposed to be aware of swallowing your saliva it is suppose to be a natural automatic response but for some reason I became aware and it is hard to get myself back before. It is kind of ruining my life and causing intense anxiety for me. Even when I'm alone I still do it. I also get like these spasms in my throat where I swallow hard without control and sometimes it isn't even saliva I swallowed but air. It has happened to me a few times while talking to people in mid sentence and it is noticeable as I've had people give me weird looks and people can hear me when I swallow on my own. Why is it people can hear you swallow when you are aware but when you aren't aware and swallow subconsciously people can't hear it? Has anyone gotten rid of this? Would anyone talk with me about this? I feel like talking to someone might help. I honestly haven't mentioned this to anyone even though I've had this issue for a very long time. I am tired of hiding it though. There have been a few people who have mentioned that they did get rid of this issue and I've recently begun doing stuff to help and I am just in the beginning stage and I do seem to feel a bit better but it is still there in the back of my mind. I feel weird and it ruins my relationships as I completely avoid relationships because of it even though I wish to have one. I also find this OCD issue to be quite funny. I have laughed myself in tears because I think this is one of the most dumbest and childish obsessions that one can be so afraid of lol. I mean you're literally just swallowing and it won't hurt you or anyone around you but I fear it so bad. That people will hear it and think I'm weird. There have been people who mentioned that they are aware of their blinking and breathing but that doesn't bother me for some reason. I have had a few issues with blinking where I had to blink until it felt right but I have since gotten better. How are some people so unfortunate to have OCD? Somatic OCD is the rarest form so I can't find too many people who have it. I wonder what it is about us that causes us to be aware of this stuff.

Skynet

Skynet

I think I had it when I was young but wouldn't call it OCD, though. Now that I read this post, I've become aware of swallowing my saliva, though. :D It does seem like OCD for you. However, just remember that everyone swallows saliva periodically, consciously or unconsciously; you're not the only one.

I do something weird (not sure if it's OCD) where I have to moisten my lips with my tongue every few minutes. It usually happens unconsciously but I sometimes do it consciously as well. It is quite often misinterpreted; a girl once said it looked like I was yearning for my mother's breast milk! I try not to think or worry too much about it.

Z

zxc91

I think I had it when I was young but wouldn't call it OCD, though. Now that I read this post, I've become aware of swallowing my saliva, though. :D It does seem like OCD for you. However, just remember that everyone swallows saliva periodically, consciously or unconsciously; you're not the only one.

I do something weird (not sure if it's OCD) where I have to moisten my lips with my tongue every few minutes. It usually happens unconsciously but I sometimes do it consciously as well. It is quite often misinterpreted; a girl once said it looked like I was yearning for my mother's breast milk! I try not to think or worry too much about it.
I am sorry for triggering you and that is one reason why I kind of backed out from seeking help but it is driving me crazy now. It is definitely OCD. I know there are people who are aware of their blinking and breathing and other things but I never become triggered. This is all some type of mind game. I know I was reading years ago about people with OCD have different brain patterns and it didn't make sense to me but after being pregnant I noticed I developed OCD and many other pregnant women too and I hate to admit it but to help others years ago I smoked meth a couple of times and when the high went down it would make me OCD just proves a point that it is a drop in dopamine as I read also and I have recently begun trying to do something about it so it will take a couple of weeks for me to notice a change. You will find other people with this same issue and I thought I was the only one with this at first. I am so depressed and just need someone to talk to about this. I simply cannot continue to hide this. I hope to find others with this same so we could talk and help one another. There is nothing wrong with swallowing though I know that I do notice when you are unaware it doesn't make a noise, which I find annoying. I've heard others swallow but I didn't find it annoying so it is probably just all in my head.

Skynet

Skynet

I am sorry for triggering you and that is one reason why I kind of backed out from seeking help but it is driving me crazy now. It is definitely OCD. I know there are people who are aware of their blinking and breathing and other things but I never become triggered. This is all some type of mind game. I know I was reading years ago about people with OCD have different brain patterns and it didn't make sense to me but after being pregnant I noticed I developed OCD and many other pregnant women too and I hate to admit it but to help others years ago I smoked meth a couple of times and when the high went down it would make me OCD just proves a point that it is a drop in dopamine as I read also and I have recently begun trying to do something about it so it will take a couple of weeks for me to notice a change. You will find other people with this same issue and I thought I was the only one with this at first. I am so depressed and just need someone to talk to about this. I simply cannot continue to hide this. I hope to find others with this same so we could talk and help one another. There is nothing wrong with swallowing though I know that I do notice when you are unaware it doesn't make a noise, which I find annoying. I've heard others swallow but I didn't find it annoying so it is probably just all in my head.
Instead of paying attention to saliva buildup in your mouth, try paying attention to the sounds in the environment and the sensations in your body (like your weight, temperature etc.). This should take your attention off your saliva for a few seconds at least. Repeat until infinity until you've mastered the art of mindfulness.

Z

zxc91

Instead of paying attention to saliva buildup in your mouth, try paying attention to the sounds in the environment and the sensations in your body (like your weight, temperature etc.). This should take your attention off your saliva for a few seconds at least. Repeat until infinity until you've mastered the art of mindfulness.
Easier said than done lol. It is fear. I have to actually think about it to not think about it even for just 20 seconds but it does always come back. A crazy loop. I've been doing erp and it is so uncomfortable it just seemed like it lessened my anxiety just a little but the problem still persists and my fear comes back that this will never go away just terrifying. I once thought about suicide but I have since changed my mind.

Skynet

Skynet

Easier said than done lol. It is fear. I have to actually think about it to not think about it even for just 20 seconds but it does always come back. A crazy loop. I've been doing erp and it is so uncomfortable it just seemed like it lessened my anxiety just a little but the problem still persists and my fear comes back that this will never go away just terrifying. I once thought about suicide but I have since changed my mind.
Actually, it is an achievement to meditate for 20 seconds at a stretch. For a good meditation app, see www.wakingup.com led by neuroscientist Sam Harris.