• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Sodium valproate - dosage?

B

bluebell24

Hi everyone,

I saw my GP yesterday as I've been really struggling if late; can go from fine to wanting to jump off a bridge in minutes ... and back again.

I'm being referred to a pdoc as the doc thinks my medication is too low a dosage. I'm on 600mg epilim daily. Earlier I googled and found on mdf that the usual is between 1000-2000mg.

Am really surprised that my dose is so low comparatively; in part relieved as hope this means an increase might be helpful. But also nervous about side-effects with an increased dose.

Just wondered if anyone out there could share experiences if being on these meds both in terms of dosage & side-effects. I know we're all different but would like to have a bit of insight before my appointment.

Thanks, B

A

Ainsworth

hey Bluebell24

im on sodium valproate, the dose you are on is a low dose but is good for starting the med.

i think you can increase SV at 200mg daily, im on 1600mg aday.

i do have side effects and though i dislike them the drug is actually quite a good one.

D

distraction

Hi
Im currently on sodium valproate 1200mg daily,i started on 200mg and have slowly increased over last 6 months with regular blood tests.
Obviously as you said were all different but any side effects are generally mild and only come on after an increased dose,after a few days the side effects subside/resolve.
I personally found the slow release 'chrono'type caused less gastric problems,this was the first drug i was tried on and believe ive not yet reached my optimum dose,but as of now it has really helped slow to notice but this has probably changed my life.
Good luck for the future

jax

jax

I was on 1700 mg of the chrono. I had an awful time with upset tummy and throwing up on a very regular basis. 2-3 times a week. It caused my hair to get a slight kink in it. It went away when I came off the drug. Funny enough, I am on its sister drug, depakote. I was sure I'd get the tummy problems and the kinky hair - but I didn't. So it appears to suit me a lot better than the epilim. Good luck. x

M

Mercer

Hi pal

It's just trial and error i'm afraid, with these types of drugs it's about balance. When i was on sv i found doses iver 1400mg not beneficial, better was 1000-1200 for me.

Everyone's different. Do you take an anti-depressant too?

Peace.

BORTU

BORTU

Hi,

I was put on to sv last week at 200mg twice a day. Seems small. Don't notice any difference yet.