• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sociopath and guilt. Is there any capacity to care about a person

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

If the goal of having empathy, in my case, is to be a better person...then, it's not wasted by any means. Because I have trouble connecting sometimes with people, and showing my feelings is a difficult thing...having that empathy, even for someone who may not deserve it or care....is still infinitely useful in me trying to be better, live better, feel better. I don't see that as a waste, in that sense.

Agreed though, those kind of people are usually...problematic...for me, and so i try to keep my distance.

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Bpd may not be the cause but without the diagnosis I'm sure healing is possible without geing labelled mentally ill.

N

Nukelavee

Bpd may not be the cause but without the diagnosis I'm sure healing is possible without geing labelled mentally ill.
You worry too much about the label itself. Being diagnosed simply allows for a more effective view of the illness.
If the goal of having empathy, in my case, is to be a better person...then, it's not wasted by any means. Because I have trouble connecting sometimes with people, and showing my feelings is a difficult thing...having that empathy, even for someone who may not deserve it or care....is still infinitely useful in me trying to be better, live better, feel better. I don't see that as a waste, in that sense.
Oh - I don't mean not to use empathy when you can, I mean acting with empathy doesn't get the same effect from somebody with bad ASPD

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I dont worry about it I just dont see the benefit for me in having it😊

Rex Smith

Rex Smith

***trigger alert****

ASPD gets mixed up with BPD quite often. Even people with BPD will say and think other BPD or other personality disorder people as ASPD but aren't. The best way to describe very bad BPD in a since of animals would be pit bulls. Always ready to pounce to prove they have the biggest balls for guys or toughest bitch for girls. They're easy to spot and a very common personality disorder. Narcissistic personality disorder is a highly demanding type of person but much less common than BPD. They're both highly aggressive and will fight with anyone to prove they're right.

B

Blackrose09

***trigger alert****

ASPD gets mixed up with BPD quite often. Even people with BPD will say and think other BPD or other personality disorder people as ASPD but aren't. The best way to describe very bad BPD in a since of animals would be pit bulls. Always ready to pounce to prove they have the biggest balls for guys or toughest bitch for girls. They're easy to spot and a very common personality disorder. Narcissistic personality disorder is a highly demanding type of person but much less common than BPD. They're both highly aggressive and will fight with anyone to prove they're right.
I have bpd. I'm very shy I don't want that attention of "toughest bitch". If I'm angry I stay at home and ruminate instead of arguing and fighting.
But I understand how the others see us I'm OK with that.

N

Nukelavee

The best way to describe very bad BPD in a since of animals would be pit bulls. Always ready to pounce to prove they have the biggest balls for guys or toughest bitch for girls. They're easy to spot and a very common personality disorder.
Yup -pretty much entirely wrong. You have no idea what you are talking about.

I have bpd. I'm very shy I don't want that attention of "toughest bitch". If I'm angry I stay at home and ruminate instead of arguing and fighting.
Exactly - BPD presents in a variety of ways. It tends to express as anger and self harm, or self destructive behaviour.

ASPD and BPD are pretty easy to tell apart in my experience. Personally, I've never mistaken one for the other. Also, BPD occurs in ~1.5% of the US population; ASPD is somewhere between 1 and 4%, potentially much more common than BPD. Narcisissim ranges from .5 to 1%, somewhat less common.

B

Blackrose09

Thanks for the statistics.
The can be easy to tell appart but when they mix in an individual gets complicated. And is more confusing when that person has other mental problems.

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Like I said on another post labelling people does more harm than good.

B

Blackrose09

Well, except not. Being diagnosed with BPD isn't the cause, it's the result.

right, but the classic sociopath/psychopath/ASPD doesn't feel empathy, ie, your empathy is actually wasted on them.

I have BPD, and for me part of it is the potential to act like a textbook sociopath/ASPD. Which means when I encounter another such person, and if they are being totally manipulative and callous, it sets me off. If they try to manipulate or use me, I end up acting the same towards them, and we see who can break the other person first.

So, I avoid ASPD people.
Of course it sets you off. When I can avoid them and I'm their main target I search for the weekest point in them, use that against them I keep them in a state of fear and the abuse stops. As I let my guard down they continue and I do the same. No choice.

Rex Smith

Rex Smith

It's the bad ones that casts the negative stereotype on every condition. It's also why labeling is bad. It doesn't matter what you are because we're all unique individuals. Some people just have hatred towards certain people which is outright disgusting. But that's coming from those typical pompous ass bigots towards those of race, political group, gender, people from countries, etc. Slap a label on it and judge it.

Also when I said very bad BPD is what people refer as the toxic hotheads. Which goes for all labeled groups. Got to love the worst ones to set the standard and those labels. :)

floater

floater

Consideringthe nazis were mainly supported by doctors at first I'd say there is a bit of a sociopath in every shrink...that's my input to the debate, I'll shut up now.

N

Nukelavee

Also when I said very bad BPD is what people refer as the toxic hotheads. Which goes for all labeled groups. Got to love the worst ones to set the standard and those labels.
Except you didn't say that. What you said is that people with BPD are like pitbulls.

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm more of a rottweiler 🙂

Ras

Ras

Can sociopaths feel guilt if they do something terribly wrong to someone they care about? And ruminante on wrongdoings and feel the others pain, think about consequences etc .

Most doctors think they lack remorse or guilt and they care only about themselves. I don't think is true for all cases.
Not a sociopath but i am diagnosed with ASPD and can say that i do somewhat feel guilt if I feel i did something wrong to someone i care for.
I don't easily connect with people and am only close to one person where i can honestly say i would die for and that is my Son.
So yeah i care about him and i dont feel good if i do something that would hurt him