• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sociopath and guilt. Is there any capacity to care about a person

B

Blackrose09

Can sociopaths feel guilt if they do something terribly wrong to someone they care about? And ruminante on wrongdoings and feel the others pain, think about consequences etc .

Most doctors think they lack remorse or guilt and they care only about themselves. I don't think is true for all cases.

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

I'm basing this off of my interpretation of the term, so i could be wrong.

The doctors you're referencing are using the (what i'd call) textbook style definition of a sociopath. By said definition, a sociopath doesn't consider, or even care, what they've done to someone as right or wrong. They may judge their actions through something like a cost-benefit type of analysis, but never on the basis that they may feel guilt or pain about it later.

Basically, they do lack remorse and guilt. This doesn't, on the other hand, mean they can't be happy, for example. I'd submit that sometimes they can be happy in situations others might not be, because they're not bound by the same feelings of guilt or pain for their actions.

I don't think something is always going to be correct for 100% of all cases, but it's certainly the overwhelming majority of them. Of course, I'd rather rely on a doctor's evaluation to be sure, but that's my 2 cents. :)

B

Blackrose09

How about a borderline comorbid sociopath (antisocial personality disorder)?
Can they feel guilt, regret for something very wrong they did to another person?

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

Can they? I don't think it's impossible. I'm a little out of my depth on comorbidity with those two afflictions, but it might be possible. I'd be recalcitrant to think it's the case, without strong evidence to show that it's happening. ASPD's, such as being a sociopath, don't usually feel those emotions by virtue of the disease. Having both at the same time -might- create conditions where guilt or shame could occur, but I'd be more likely to presume that it only affects their negative emotions, such as anger or rage at not getting what they want, rather than what might be considered introspective feelings or reflection.

I've dealt with exactly one actually diagnosed sociopath in my lifetime (though i'd likely wager i've met quite a few who weren't). They'd -say- they were sorry, or feign guilt over something. The only reason they did, though, was because it was another means to an end. It was a way to manipulate people or get what they really wanted, with no real concern for the harm they had caused.

TLDR (as the kids say)....It's possible, but i wouldn't bet the proverbial farm on it.

B

Blackrose09

Criteria for antisocial personality disorder. You need at least 3.

A pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others, since age 15 years, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:

Failure to conform to social norms concerning lawful behaviors, such as performing acts that are grounds for arrest.

Deceitfulness, repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for pleasure or personal profit.

Impulsivity or failure to plan.

Irritability and aggressiveness, often with physical fights or assaults.

Reckless disregard for the safety of self or others.

Consistent irresponsibility, failure to sustain consistent work behavior, or honor monetary obligations.

Lack of remorse, being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another person.

B

Blackrose09

I'd be more likely to presume that it only affects their negative emotions, such as anger or rage at not getting what they want, rather than what might be considered introspective feelings or reflection
Good point

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

To me, the most difficult to process is the chronic dishonesty. I mean, there are periodic episodes, for example, where i completely disregard my own personal safety, etc...though, interestingly enough, the result was entirely positive.

Sometimes, I screw things up for the better! LOL

But for the life of me, I can't fathom dishonesty. I'm aware that saying such is really more of a problem with my personal incredulity on the matter, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. My moral pendulum ticks in the opposite direction, where I practically demand absolute honesty from people at all times, and (whether right or wrong) harshly punish (read: dismiss or ostracize from my life entirely) people who are dishonest with me.

And I wonder why i'm single. <_<

Rex Smith

Rex Smith

How about a borderline comorbid sociopath (antisocial personality disorder)?
Can they feel guilt, regret for something very wrong they did to another person?
Sociopath and psychopath aren't words that should be used. Entertainment terminology for the public. It's not recognized by WHO or in the official mental health handbook and casts negativity for those that's ASPD.

To answer the question, no on guilt and regret depends on the outcome. I regret a lot of shit that has an negative effect on me or didn't go as planned. Like tripping someone that angered me but got caught doing it and someone else caught them so they didn't get hurt. Which resulted in a punishment and I failed to achieve what I wanted.

Nothing to regret it if everything went as planned, no punishment and they got hurt. Would i feel remorse? No.

Best to PM me if you had any other questions. Don't want to trigger anyone. Lot of sensitive cookies here.

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'd say guilt is an emotion and like any other emotion it is possible for anyone to feel it.

Rex Smith

Rex Smith

Guilt and remorse are words. Nothing more. People that once said they felt that can change. How is that possible if it's more than words?

EXAMPLE TIME
2000-2008 Bush administration- USA
Democrats attacked Bush for drone program. The civilian casualties are enormous vs the required targets killed. Drone strikes was brought up when Obama was campaigning in 2008. We need CHANGE to put an end to drone strikes and GITMO. Change was OBAMA slogan but that's exactly what it was, just a slogan.

Want to know about those drone strikes? They increased and the casualties were even higher under Obama administration. Everyone that had Guilt and remorse during Bush administration switched over and said it's necessary to protect our people. My mind was blown that the news and all those fucking crying liberals just poof, its ok because my master says it's necessary. Republicans at least stood the same ground under Obama administration as they did for Bush. Drones good we gotta kill them all no complaints for us, welcome to the drone program liberals good to have you on our side.

Just a bunch of Gullible pathetic maggots I tell ya.

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

Guilt and remorse are words. Nothing more. People that once said they felt that can change. How is that possible if it's more than words?

EXAMPLE TIME
2000-2008 Bush administration- USA
Democrats attacked Bush for drone program. The civilian casualties are enormous vs the required targets killed. Drone strikes was brought up when Obama was campaigning in 2008. We need CHANGE to put an end to drone strikes and GITMO. Change was OBAMA slogan but that's exactly what it was, just a slogan.

Want to know about those drone strikes? They increased and the casualties were even higher under Obama administration. Everyone that had Guilt and remorse during Bush administration switched over and said it's necessary to protect our people. My mind was blown that the news and all those fucking crying liberals just poof, its ok because my master says it's necessary. Republicans at least stood the same ground under Obama administration as they did for Bush. Drones good we gotta kill them all no complaints for us, welcome to the drone program liberals good to have you on our side.

Just a bunch of Gullible pathetic maggots I tell ya.

I'd point out that you're using politicians (which is, in virtually every language, a replacement word for liar) and their rhetoric as a justification for how guilt or remorse are just words.

It's...not the best example for your case, by a country mile.

Politicians talk a good game, but they always play to the crowd. When they say one thing, you can generally expect them to deviate from it the moment that political reality hits them and they sink back into whatever status quo there is at the moment. I trust what a politician says about as much as I believe the moon is made out of literal swiss cheese.

Moving on, because politics tends to get me agitated.

Yes, they're just words. Yes, words are all imaginary constructs...abstracts in a physical world that don't really exist, much like numbers or Kristen Stewart's ability to act. But what they represent (such as the word sociopath and psychopath, words I believe we should absolutely use) describe the world around us and how we interact with and fit into it.

My example time is the word "cold". It's not based on science, it doesn't actually exist....but we use it frequently to describe what we feel.

N

Nukelavee

I'm a little out of my depth on comorbidity with those two afflictions, but it might be possible.
It can happen, or does happen. I'd think, based on experience, that BPD and sociopathy results in periods or phases of anti-social behaviour, similar to split thinking, that you may or may not regret after. It can be hard to know if you really feel guilty or regret, or if you are just pretending for PR reasons.

I dunno - to me, I find it hard to feel bad about having a negative opinion of "socio- or psychopaths, I mean, by nature and definition they tend to be toxic people. I mean, why waste empathy on people who think your are a guilable boob for feeling that way?

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

It can happen, or does happen. I'd think, based on experience, that BPD and sociopathy results in periods or phases of anti-social behaviour, similar to split thinking, that you may or may not regret after. It can be hard to know if you really feel guilty or regret, or if you are just pretending for PR reasons.

I dunno - to me, I find it hard to feel bad about having a negative opinion of "socio- or psychopaths, I mean, by nature and definition they tend to be toxic people. I mean, why waste empathy on people who think your are a guilable boob for feeling that way?
It likely does, i'm just not terribly well versed on it and didn't want to act as if I knew. :)

I agree that it's hard to find empathy for people who act that way. For me, at least, things like empathy can be hard to generate for other people sometimes, and that creates issues on its own. I'd like to think that having such empathy, though, is sometimes more for our personal benefit (internally) than it is the recipient. As an example, forgiving someone, even if they don't ask for it, allows us to let go of pain or guilt regardless of what the other person says or does. Sometimes, that seems downright impossible, but I can see the benefit for it when people are able to do so.

Otherwise, I'd look at a sociopath in the same light as people who have other major problems. People with BPD, for example, can come across as incredibly toxic rageoholics. However, the few times in life where i've been slightly better than average when was someone looked kindly on me, despite my problems and way of doing things. That little bit of empathy from them made me happy, even if it was fleeting. Totally get where you're coming from, and don't blame you for seeing things that way. I couldn't actively engage with people like that, and certainly can't fault someone else for doing the same.

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
People with BPD are just ordinary people. Difference is some loony told them they were different and wrecked their lives 🙂

N

Nukelavee

People with BPD are just ordinary people. Difference is some loony told them they were different and wrecked their lives
Well, except not. Being diagnosed with BPD isn't the cause, it's the result.
People with BPD, for example, can come across as incredibly toxic rageoholics. However, the few times in life where i've been slightly better than average when was someone looked kindly on me, despite my problems and way of doing things. That little bit of empathy from them made me happy, even if it was fleeting.
right, but the classic sociopath/psychopath/ASPD doesn't feel empathy, ie, your empathy is actually wasted on them.

I have BPD, and for me part of it is the potential to act like a textbook sociopath/ASPD. Which means when I encounter another such person, and if they are being totally manipulative and callous, it sets me off. If they try to manipulate or use me, I end up acting the same towards them, and we see who can break the other person first.

So, I avoid ASPD people.