• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Socially phobic versus avoidant

F

firemonkee57

At what point does a person go from socially phobic to avoidant?
I am not diagnosed with this but am severely socially anxious. Looking at the ICD criteria of which 4 is needed: persistent and pervasive feelings of tension and apprehension; belief that one is socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others; excessive preoccupation with being criticized or rejected in social situations; restrictions in lifestyle because of need to have physical security;
avoidance of social or occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact because of fear of criticism, disapproval, or rejection- apply to me.

Also I am very sensitive to criticism and rejection . However all these could be seen to be applicable to social anxiety/phobia.

I am guessing degree of experiencing symptoms may come into play but how can these things be objectively, as opposed to subjectively, assessed and categorised?

Is the difference more diagnostically cosmetic than anything else?

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i think they are really the same thing. the only difference i could think of is that if a person has all the standard treatments for SA and has made very limited progress it changes to a pd.
the treatments for both are the same so i think it makes no difference.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
PDs are a way of blaming the person when they don't get better IMO.

I can't see the difference either, I looked it up and it said something about with Avoidant PD the person has a deep seated belief they are inferior to others, whereas social phobia is more a skills deficit.

But, I dunno.

F

firemonkee57

PDs are a way of blaming the person when they don't get better IMO.

I can't see the difference either, I looked it up and it said something about with Avoidant PD the person has a deep seated belief they are inferior to others, whereas social phobia is more a skills deficit.

But, I dunno.
I think you may be right about PD . Re social phobia being a skills deficit-isn't that a case of the cart going before the horse ? I am sure not all people who are socially anxious start off with a lack of social skills but lack of interaction could blunt them over time. On the other hand it is possible that if you lack social/interaction skills growing up ,adverse peer reaction could result in paranoia and social anxiety(this very much applies to me) .
It may be that some have good social skills if they can override the anxiety/phobia.