Socially insecure. NO ESA nor JSA nor sick note nor help from my GP nor income. HELP!

S

Stressed from Aberdeen

Socially insecure. NO ESA nor JSA nor sick note nor help from my GP nor income. HELP!

I am trying to find a doctor to write for me 2 identical copies of a "Statement of Fitness for Work", which I require as a social security benefit claimant.

I was signed off work and onto sickness benefits ten years ago by my lovely GP who sadly has now retired. I have a copy of his sick note for "Stress" "until further notice" from 2007.

Unfortunately, my replacement NHS registered GPs have misdiagnosed me, presumably on account of the episodic nature of my unacceptable behaviour which only manifests itself when I am under severe stress, such as I suffered at the Jobcentre when in 2006 my benefits were sanctioned and I had a complete mental breakdown and threatened the Jobcentre staff and was arrested by police (thankfully no-one was hurt, though plenty were alarmed).

I have specified the wording in my exemplar fit note (below), knowing my symptoms and knowing what the law is, knowing what my fit note needs to say, to re-qualify me for Employment and Support Allowance, which has recently been stopped.
:panic:

The DWP decision maker said - "applying for Jobseekers Allowance is your only hope of getting any money now".

But I just can't face the stress of going back to the bad old years (20 of them) of benefit sanctions and threats of benefit sanctions when I fail to jobseek to the satisfaction of the Jobcentre staff which is required to apply for Jobseekers Allowance. so I have no income now apart from some housing benefit which pays only part of my rent.

and because of the following conditions - MENTAL ILL-HEALTH, STRESS AND UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOUR

I advise you that - you are not fit for work

Comments, including functional effects of your condition(s) - OCCASIONALLY HAS UNCONTROLLABLE EPISODES OF AGGRESSIVE OR DISINHIBITED BEHAVIOUR THAT WOULD BE UNREASONABLE IN ANY WORK PLACE.

This will be the case for NOW UNTIL RETIREMENT AGE

I will not need to assess your fitness for work at the end of this period​

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Welcome to the forum, is their a citizens advice bureau where you live? They will be able to advise on what to do.
Good luck

S

Stressed from Aberdeen

Hi,
Welcome to the forum, is their a citizens advice bureau where you live? They will be able to advise on what to do.
Good luck
Hi Mayflower7 and thanks for the welcome.

Yes there is an Aberdeen CAB
Aberdeen Citizens Advice Bureau | Citizens Advice Scotland
and there is this webpage
What to do if you're not awarded ESA - Citizens Advice Scotland

Which tells me that I can challenge the decision, which I've done and now I am appealing to an independent tribunal and for that a local charity mental health advice man advised me that I needed new evidence from my doctor and to contact my GP which I did but my GP said "NO" to a new sick note.

When I CCd to the local mental health charity adviser, my email TO my GP practice manager about the GP who refused me the sick note in these terms.

"I consider his refusal to be wrong, unhelpful and unprofessional for any health care professional and I do not wish to have any future appointments with him because I do not believe he has my best interests as a patient at heart.

On the contrary, (Doctor) seems entirely indifferent to my need to have my social security benefits restored. He is clearly a very heartless and a very cruel man - not what the public have come to expect from our doctors and tending to bring his employment as a doctor with the NHS in Scotland into question I might suggest."

the local charity mental health advice man wrote to me asking me not to copy my emails to him and he didn't reply or answer his phone when I emailed him / called him to ask why, after all I was just reporting to him the lack of progress I was having after following his advice.

So it looks like when the relationship between myself and my GP practice soured, the local charity mental health adviser got nervous and uncomfortable about being associated with someone outspoken like me who had dared to openly confront a GP.

The local charity man was not as well educated as a GP and he clearly is out of his depth confronting a GP. I'm an educated man so have no problem with taking issue and challenging the competence of a GP. Not everyone can do that.

So what I really need now is a co-operative GP who will just write me the sick note ("fit note") that I need, for love or for money, I don't care which, so long as I get the sick note written I need.

S

Stressed from Aberdeen

Hi,
Good luck
Hi Mayflower7 and thanks for the welcome.

Yes there is an Aberdeen CAB and they have a webpage too.

Which tells me that I can challenge the DWP's decision to stop my ESA, which I've done and now I am appealing to an independent tribunal and for that a local charity mental health advice man advised me that I needed new evidence from my doctor and to contact my GP which I did but my GP said "NO" to a new sick note.

When I CCd to the local mental health charity adviser, my email TO my GP practice manager about the GP who refused me the sick note in these terms.

"I consider his refusal to be wrong, unhelpful and unprofessional for any health care professional and I do not wish to have any future appointments with him because I do not believe he has my best interests as a patient at heart.

On the contrary, (Doctor) seems entirely indifferent to my need to have my social security benefits restored. He is clearly a very heartless and a very cruel man - not what the public have come to expect from our doctors and tending to bring his employment as a doctor with the NHS in Scotland into question I might suggest."

the local charity mental health advice man wrote to me asking me not to copy my emails to him and he didn't reply or answer his phone when I emailed him / called him to ask why, after all I was just reporting to him the lack of progress I was having after following his advice.

So it looks like when the relationship between myself and my GP practice soured, the local charity mental health adviser got nervous and uncomfortable about being associated with someone outspoken like me who had dared openly to confront a GP.

The local charity man was not as well educated as a GP and he clearly is out of his depth confronting a GP. I'm an educated man so have no problem with taking issue and challenging the competence of a GP. Not everyone can do that.

So what I really need now is a co-operative GP who will just write me the sick note ("fit note") that I need, for love or for money, I don't care which, so long as I get the sick note written I need.

Last edited:
Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I hope you can find a different GP who will write a sick note. Do let us know how you get on.
Good luck,

W

Waverunner

There are very few (if any) GP's who will write a sick note in the way that you have worded it. All would want to review your circumstances at some point to see if the situation has changed and you could argue that that is the responsible thing to do. You may want to rethink what you are asking for as if a GP thinks that's all you are looking for then the chance of refusal is higher.

S

Stressed from Aberdeen

There are very few (if any) GP's who will write a sick note in the way that you have worded it. All would want to review your circumstances at some point to see if the situation has changed and you could argue that that is the responsible thing to do. You may want to rethink what you are asking for as if a GP thinks that's all you are looking for then the chance of refusal is higher.
It's highly irresponsible for any GP to refuse me a sick note and perpetuate the social security crisis (no income) I am suffering at the moment.

I don't see why the wording I have asked for would in future stop my GP reviewing my work fitness status, in a stress-free way for me, whenever I or he/she wanted to do so?

W

Waverunner

I didn't say a GP should refuse you a sick note. I didn't even say you shouldn't have one. I merely pointed out that the system does not work in the way that you want it to and if you want a sick note then perhaps you should reconsider the wording of the note. And no GP (especially one who does not know you) would write one that is indefinite and not want to see you again. I very much do agree that having no income is extremely stressful. All I was trying to point out is that you may need to compromise on what you are asking for in order to try and resolve things. I'll leave it there as I don't think there is much else I can say. I wish you luck!

S

Stressed from Aberdeen

I didn't say a GP should refuse you a sick note. I didn't even say you shouldn't have one. I merely pointed out that the system does not work in the way that you want it to and if you want a sick note then perhaps you should reconsider the wording of the note.
I'll consider what a GP who is offering to write me a sick note has to say about the wording, of course.

And no GP (especially one who does not know you) would write one that is indefinite and not want to see you again.
My own GP practice does not want to see me again, having only a few days ago asked Practitioner Services to remove my name from their patient list they say "because of a breakdown in the doctor-patient relationship".

I was asking my GP practice for an appointment with any of the other of the half a dozen or so GPs in the practice, excluding the one GP who had already refused me a sick note, but the practice was refusing to make an appointment with any doctor to see me. Now they've thrown me to the wolves.

I very much do agree that having no income is extremely stressful. All I was trying to point out is that you may need to compromise on what you are asking for in order to try and resolve things. I'll leave it there as I don't think there is much else I can say.
Well I think the way to resolve things is for a doctor to write the sick note I am asking for, but if there is a better way, I am certainly ready to compromise.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
M

mal blue moon

HI stressed from Aberdeen ,Doctors need an exact diagnosiss ie Bio polar disorder ,and that any displayed unusual behavours are down to a disorder of the brain ie Autism , the book of classification for mental health is the DSM classifaction ,Doctors have specifiy a Dsm catorgry and we as patient's are put in order ,and getting a dual diagnosiss is dificult due to the system being unflexable ,Whatever you do avoid getting caught breaking the law as its a trap and could destroy your Life chances .

Last edited:
P

Pixieb34

I got diagnosed with schizophrenia but my GPs sick note just said 'low mood' which sounds a bit trivial, they don't tend to make the sick notes sound permanent. Those sick notes still saved me from having to jobseek and I got ESA.

He read out a list of questions about how I was feeling. Eg. Can you concentrate on a tv programme?, can you enjoy normal activities? I said no as I was so anxious I couldn't sit down.

I suspect that if you go and say,' I think I've got depression/ mental problems- what do you think?' It will work better than telling them you want a sick note/ fit note.

They like to think it's their decision, they don't like just giving you what you ask for ( even though you know best what is wrong with you). I think it's also the law that they have to run that test on you ( the list of mood questions). They want to decide for themselves if we need a note. Let them ask you the list of questions and I think they will give you the note. They don't like being told what to do, if you get what I mean.

I hope you get a note soon, I'm sorry you're having all this stress.