• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

pepecat

pepecat

Please note this has been approved by the moderators

Hi,

I'm a Trainee Clinical Psychologist based at the University of Hertfordshire. I'm currently conducting some research exploring the links between social relationships and depression, and the impact of social relationships on recovery.

The research is an online survey, which takes around 20 minutes to complete. As depression affects so many people, I'm hoping to get as many people who have previously experienced, or are currently experiencing depression to complete the survey.

If you are aged over 18 and would like to take part, the survey can be found here: https://herts.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8IzAvuBkPMJHawB

Thanks to the moderators for allowing me to post here.

David Novelli, Trainee Clinical Psychologist

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
P

Purple butterfly

Got half way through and got sidetracked will try again later x

pepecat

pepecat

Update from the researcher

Thank you to all of the people who kindly gave their time to take part in this research project in 2015. I wanted to get in touch to share some of the main findings with you. I apologise for not getting in touch sooner, but we’ve been waiting to formalise the results before sharing them. The main purpose of the research was to explore the link between social relationships and people’s experiences of depression. We specifically wanted to explore whether identifying with more social groups increased people’s optimism, and whether this in turn reduced their symptoms of depression. 288 people who had experienced depression were asked to complete an online survey. It was found that in support of previous research, identifying with more social groups predicted lower depression scores. In addition, belonging to more groups led people to feel more supported. This in turn led to increased optimism for the future, and lower depression scores. This supported our main prediction.

For a sub-sample of 135 participants who had some experience of psychological therapy, we were also interested in whether identifying with the therapist predicted better outcomes from therapy. We found that participants who identified more with their therapists reported better therapy outcomes (lower depression scores). We also found people who could speak to themselves between therapy sessions in a way that reflected how their therapist might speak to them reported lower depression scores. Again, we found that this increased sense of identifying with the therapist increased people’s feelings of optimism, which reduced their depression score.

These findings give us some idea of how social identity processes can impact on depression, which in turn can hopefully lead to new insights for therapeutic interventions.

Again, I’d like to thank you all for your help in promoting and completing this project.

With best wishes

David Novelli
University of Hertfordshire

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Update from the researcher

Thank you to all of the people who kindly gave their time to take part in this research project in 2015. I wanted to get in touch to share some of the main findings with you. I apologise for not getting in touch sooner, but we’ve been waiting to formalise the results before sharing them. The main purpose of the research was to explore the link between social relationships and people’s experiences of depression. We specifically wanted to explore whether identifying with more social groups increased people’s optimism, and whether this in turn reduced their symptoms of depression. 288 people who had experienced depression were asked to complete an online survey. It was found that in support of previous research, identifying with more social groups predicted lower depression scores. In addition, belonging to more groups led people to feel more supported. This in turn led to increased optimism for the future, and lower depression scores. This supported our main prediction.

For a sub-sample of 135 participants who had some experience of psychological therapy, we were also interested in whether identifying with the therapist predicted better outcomes from therapy. We found that participants who identified more with their therapists reported better therapy outcomes (lower depression scores). We also found people who could speak to themselves between therapy sessions in a way that reflected how their therapist might speak to them reported lower depression scores. Again, we found that this increased sense of identifying with the therapist increased people’s feelings of optimism, which reduced their depression score.

These findings give us some idea of how social identity processes can impact on depression, which in turn can hopefully lead to new insights for therapeutic interventions.

Again, I’d like to thank you all for your help in promoting and completing this project.

With best wishes

David Novelli
University of Hertfordshire
Its so refreshing when you feel youve helped them Realise the Obvious, isn't it.

angry butterfly

angry butterfly

Its so refreshing when you feel youve helped them Realise the Obvious, isn't it.
Haha, Yes was thinking exactly the same. I never cease to be amazed the amount of time and money that is spent on researching the bloody obvious!

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Haha, Yes was thinking exactly the same. I never cease to be amazed the amount of time and money that is spent on researching the bloody obvious!
all this research sinks into the gaping maw of public health anyway. its someones doctorate, not a serious attempt to improve the public mental health system.

pffft. I did one once, but they gave me a $50 voucher and a cup of coffee :D