Social phobia linked to autism and schizophrenia

F

firemonkee57

Posted by university of Swinburne December 11th

New Swinburne research shows that people who find social situations difficult tend to have similar brain responses to those with schizophrenia or autism.

The research, published in Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, found the areas of the brain that show increased response when exposed to unexpected speech sounds or ‘phonemes’ are associated with the processing of social information and linked with spectrum conditions such as autism or schizophrenia.

Social phobia linked to autism and schizophrenia | Swinburne news

I have rather severe social phobia. Dxed with schizophrenia in the past ad have definite autistic traits.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
"one thing he undoubtedly suffers from is extreme social anxiety" also had schitzoprenia diagnosis, i'm wondering if that personality disorder diagnosis has stuck as i've been left, gp puts schitzoprenia on benefit forms

P

Paranoid_Android

I'm diagnosed with both Schizophrenia and Autism, although I believe originally I was only Autistic. The Psychologist who diagnosed me as Autistic is the only professional that also took into my Schizophrenia. Yet the mental health team is having a hard time believing I'm Autistic.

I wasn't on a meds when I got diagnosed with Autism either. That's why I know I am one. They're the only people who have let me talk about my childhood as well. I'm text book Autistic.

P

Paranoid_Android

The research, published in Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, found the areas of the brain that show increased response when exposed to unexpected speech sounds or ‘phonemes’ are associated with the processing of social information and linked with spectrum conditions such as autism or schizophrenia.

“This suggests that for people who find social situations difficult, their brain may be processing social information inefficiently,” says lead researcher and Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Dr Talitha Ford.
This makes sense. When I was having a Psychotic episode last year I was experiencing rapid speech and a guy from the mental health team said they're going to continue coming around because of that and I said that I'm Autistic so that'll be why but I guess it must be both. I was defiantly having a Psychosis. It's hard to tell which is which because I have both. He didn't like me telling him it was because I was Autistic.

Edited, grammer.

Last edited: