• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Social inclusion team

R

riverofdragons

I have been referred to the social inclusion and support team...

I don't have a clue what they do...

Anyone experienced them?

BigAl

BigAl

Founding Member
I work for a social inclusion support service, the one i work at provides support to people who have enduring mental health issues and are at risk of or already are homeless, it's a supported housing project and floating support service.

R

riverofdragons

i had an appointment with them today but they say they cant help me. instead of telling me what kinds of things they did,they just asked what help I wanted. I didnt know what to say. The first thing that came to mind was physical help with the day to day stuff. i dont know what it is they are meant to do, but i wont find out either. I could really do with extra support especially as i am having to make a huge change with living circumstances. living on my own for the first time. im scared i will end up stuck in the house with no where to go and no one to talk to. i need someone who checks up on me every now and then coz as i get ill i isolate myself and become unable to make phone calls to docs to get help.

oneday

oneday

Hi riverofdragons

Saw your question a bit late - I know of a mental health 'social inclusion' team in the London borough where I used to work... but maybe no point in telling you what they do now(?)

It's a bit ironic being excluded from the 'social inclusuon' team isn't it!! :confused: How do you mean they say they can't help you? - Why was that? Or do you mean they said they couldn't help you with physical day to day stuff?

You may be able to get that kind of support through Direct Payments (I know people who have), but you'll need to get support with that, e.g. from mental health services (so I'm surprised that the social inclusion team didn't say they could help with that), or you might be able to get support from a disability advice service or an advocacy project, or a local mental health charity....

I don't know where you live. What will be available in each area, with regards getting support with Direct Payments, or other ways of getting support at home, varies around the country.

If you want to say the area you live, I might have better ideas - you can pm me if you'd rather.

I understand your fear of getting used to living on your own, and of getting stuck in the flat - Didn't whoever you spoke to at the social inclusion team give you any ideas about making sure that doesn't happen? :confused: again!

Anyway, sorry you're having a difficult time with it all - come back to me if you think I might be able to help (I used to work for a user-run mental health info project, so may be able to think of ideas about getting advice or support that might help).

Take care

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
When i saw a suport worker i said i'd just like someone to be there when i need them, they said they can't do that and they're job is to make me independent

Social inclusion are they going to suggest segregation at a day centre?

It's the hypocracy of these people good ideas quite often come from the disability movement then are bent into the oposite by social services out to save money

R

riverofdragons

They said they could not help because I already had started to do some things like join the gym and spoke about hoping to open a drama school for disabled kids. I still dont fully understand why they cant help...joining a gym is not going to tackle social exclusion if i cant get out of the house to go, or if i do make it there but dont speak to anyone while i am out (which is the norm). Sounds like they will only help if you dont want them to.

The thing I am most scared of is if a bad day turns into a bad week and I become dangerous to myself. If I am self harming, not eating, not looking after myself etc then a bi-monthly psychiatrist appointment wont be much use to me. I don't have anyone to check up on me and as soon as I start getting worse I lose the ability to talk out loud which makes helplines useless and leaves me unable to make emergency appointments or ask for help.

M

mad as a hatter

u not got a cpn there usually good at keepng an eye on u mines takes me out for coffee once a wk it really helps 2