• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Social Distancing

Miy

Miy

So! Dunno where everyone is in the world but I'm in central New York and our governor just extended "NY on pause" (the closure of non-essential businesses) until May 15. That's another full month. I know this virus is serious and I'm not downplaying it in any way but this is really hurting my soul. On top of that it's still freezing cold and snowing! The weather this time of year is typically crappy but not like this... Sunday it was 60°F, a little breezy and sunny. Today is overcast, the temperature has halved and everything is covered in slush.
Given all that, I've been fighting with myself all day. Ridiculous thoughts. I'm afraid if I don't keep my mind busy it'll wander to deep depths, maybe even suicide. Granted I still live with my parents and that's somewhat of a distraction. I know there are people out there who are worse off than me though; people who actually have the virus or are quarantined with their kids, or people who're still working and being exposed every day. But I can't help feeling depressed and Idk how to help myself. I'm bipolar and was diagnosed years ago so I've been on medications to help with depression and mood swings. But I'm having a really hard time with this isolation even though I know it's for my own good. I need to see my friends, I need the distraction of working but those things are unavailable. Maybe this post is just me rambling on and complaining but even typing this out is helping.
ANYWAY. The point of this whole post was for me to get my troubles out of my head and into forum to see if anyone has any suggestions. Where does everyone live, and how is your local government handling it? More importantly, how are YOU handling it? What is everyone's coping mechanisms, because at this point that's the proper term. That makes it sound like we've been through a war and that's what it feels like sometimes. There's enough for me to do to keep busy yet it's like there's a brick wall standing in my way. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get through this next month? I feel like I'm literally going to go honest-to-God insane.
If you've read all that I really appreciate it. Thanks in advance too for any replies.

I hope everyone is safe and healthy!

F

floater

Organising my flat. This could go on years, I've heard - until the cure is found, but I've a paint prog and always been somewhat living for my living space. Think doing some sort of meditation might help. Especially if you are not used to spending much time with yourself.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I'm sorry your struggling, it is hard times for us all.
Think I've had the virus, the UK are not testing unless you go to hospital or are frontline workers.
We're in lockdown for another three weeks, I do miss going out.
Grateful I have food for me and my mum, my cats and hens.
I try to do things each day to pass the time.
Keep talking on here.
Hugs

Miy

Miy

Thanks for the replies :) We've spent a bunch of time rearranging and cleaning but there's always something to do in that area. We took down all our cupboard doors to have the paint stripped and now just waiting to get them back so we can paint them. Hopefully that takes up a few days. It'd hard to actually physically make myself do something. Especially since I'm so worried about the virus... I had to go out for food and didn't have a mask yet. I'm only 30 and healthy so I should be fine but it's still worrisome. I've never tried meditation though. I also have an over-the-phone appointment with my psychiatrist on Tuesday, hopefully I can manage until then. The negative thoughts are what really hurt.

Bluebox11

Bluebox11

I'm in the UK in the city of Nottingham. I've been cleaning, playing video games, reading, and going on short walks outside my house. I'm with my parents which is something. It's bad that I can't see my friends though and I have to keep distracting myself otherwise my mind will focus on horrible thoughts and I will sink down and be very depressed and anxious.