• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Social apathy?

Q

Q_sert

I wouldn't say that I have social anxiety, though at times I act in a way that mirrors it. From what I gather, people with social anxiety are afraid to talk to people, nervous about what might be said about them, etc. But for me it's more that I just genuinely don't care about most of the people I interact with on a daily basis, so I see no point in having social connections with them.

Occasionally I'll get in a mood where I just want to see how far I can push people, and what I can say to them to get an interesting reaction, but aside from that I have no interest in meeting people unless I need a specific thing from them. Any way you could see that I could turn this 'social apathy' around into a successful social life?

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I feel a bit like you. I can be very sociable with other people if I try but I just don't particularly want to.
How would you define 'a successful social life'? I mean you could join clubs related to a hobby or particular interest perhaps - you don't have to try and make 'friends' beyond meeting people at the club - you don't have to join in any social activities outside the club. Also, if you join a club (like a running club perhaps or an astronomical group - just as examples!) you would be able to focus on the activity itself more than the people there. Just a thought :)

FriendsAreFriends

FriendsAreFriends

You seem like a very healthy and a person mastering your life in a high degree. Manipulating others is an ability that is important to survive in crisis - so we must just know not to directly exploit people.

A healthy social life need not involve a lot of friends, but a few friends with simular interests and life-view makes a good life to me. Taking time to be alone and at the same time building alliances is good. There is a lot of interresting and good people out there - so there is always the possibility of finding good friends that respect you and could build mutual support. Choose your friends with care, they will influence your life.

Have a great day!

Kenneth.